Wine barrel too big help please.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowy

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, I have recently harvested approx 150 litres of wine from our grapes they are still in the brewing bin 4 days now and bubbling away well, my wine barrel is 200 litres will I have a problem as the barrel will not be full? If so is there anything I can do? Thank you.

There is not a lot you can do. That 150 liters will be less once fermentation is complete, pressed and racked of the gross lees. Not to mention you will lose wine naturally in the barrel. 50+ liter head space is much too large unless you are making sherry. Your only option is to rethink your aging and storage method. Sorry!

Thank you Mainshipfred I thought as much looks like a smaller barrel is required. I even thought of filling wine bags with water inside the barrel but I guess the risk of contamination is high. Thanks again

Thank you Mainshipfred I thought as much looks like a smaller barrel is required. I even thought of filling wine bags with water inside the barrel but I guess the risk of contamination is high. Thanks again

If you were to use a purified water and sanitized bags I don't see how contamination would be an issue. The only risk I could see is one or more of the bags springing a leak and thinning your wine. It is a fine thought though, at least until you could get the proper sized barrel.

Latest posts

Back