wine ageing debate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee whiz, everyone seems so sophisticated in their opinion. Me, I'm like a neurotic squirrel with a bunch of acorn piles of wine in the basement, drinking what I find. I enjoy trying to keep this hobby spontaneous, especially tasting batches with a month between. I couldn't resist an internet search...

Did you at least ask him what he thought of your wine? ;)

The key is to hide some of your best wine when and while you are drinking some of the other. Maybe you will forget where you hid it and become pleasantly surprised next year... or two when you find it!

But wouldn't we have to "hide" it in a cool place. The only time that my house is cool is when I'm making wine. Other than that, I turned the air OFF when I am not home and it's pretty warm in there during the day when I'm at work. So my wine would "go bad". I guess that's why I have to drink it all up in a month's time. lol

I like to age my kit wines for at least 6 months.Some say they're ready in 3 months but honestly if you hang on til 6 the flavor changes dramatically.After a year it doesn't even taste like the same wine you had at 3 months. I'm new at fruit wines but since joining this forum I have made about 40 gal of various fruit wines all of which will be waiting til at least the one year mark.I have to say that even my DB sat til 8 months until drinking and I have to say everyone who tasted it at 3 couldn't believe the difference at 8.
But, everyone has different tastes.That's why the wine stores are full of so many different varieties.So if you're happy with it young..bottoms up!

Latest posts

Back