Other Wine acidity through fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luanne50

Reaction score
I've made lots of kits, but never had to worry about acidity. this time I want to make a Chardonnay with the final acidity of .7 -.8.

If I test for acidity when I first start the kit, will that number change as the wine ferments and ages?

I've made lots of kits, but never had to worry about acidity. this time I want to make a Chardonnay with the final acidity of .7 -.8.

If I test for acidity when I first start the kit, will that number change as the wine ferments and ages?

The short and both sides of the mouth answer is: probably, and it depends on a lot of factors. TA and pH typically both change during fermentation and can be affected by the chemical composition of the must as well as by the yeast you choose.

If you want to mess around with the TA and / or pH of a kit wine, (assuming you are talking about a kit) just know that they come prebalanced to produce a satisfying end produce.

If you want to adjust your wine to your personal taste, my advice would be to wait to do it until your wine is fermented, cleared, and has a little age under it's belt. Instead of setting a target TA for yourself, do some small sample trials, adjusting each one with a small, measured dose of tartaric acid until you find the one you like best, then adjust your batch accordingly.

Back