Will you get sick drinking wine too early?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaitala

Reaction score
Don't know if it was here or during an internet search, but I think I saw someone post that they drank the wine before clarifying and aging and got sick, is that really a thing?

Maybe I'm weird, but I'm liking my new wines, even before they are clarified or aged.

Will I get sick from drinking a glass or two off the first rack off the lees? They're actually kind of tasty, and smooth, with little bite, and I like that. The ones I've racked into carboy for aging are definitely nicer after fining, but even the raw ones seem pleasant.

Yeast won't hurt you but many folks get upset stomach from different foods. It's a tradition here to drink the new wine as it's pressed along with last years wine as it goes into bottles making room in carboys... A good comparison and we haven't gotten sick yet. The new wine is fairly murky at that point and collected into a decanter fresh off the press to enjoy. We "just might" open some other bottles too lol...

Cheers,
johann

The reason wine making is such a great hobby is that (I have read) that nothing that can harm you can live in the acidic/alcoholic environment of wine. It may not taste good, it may not completely agree with your stomach, but nothing that can harm you.
wrong,,,, it is plain to see, you've never drank young wine while tree climbing, 🤫
Dawg

I have noticed occasionally my stomach will be a little grumbly after drinking
lees-laden wine so I've tried to minimize my tasting size. May not happen to
everyone though.

Back