will this be a problem...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phador

Green
Reaction score
I was just throwing together a must for merlot. I got 2 cans of alexander's sun country (is this a good brand by the way?) and I added campden before tannin/pectin/nutrient/energizer...I usually let everything sit for 24hrs then add campden, then wait again before yeast. From what I've read, the campden stops certain things from working at certain times...any thoughts or should I just add everything and wait to add yeast?

The reason there is a gap of time between the addition of k-meta/Campden and pectic enzyme is because studies have shown that pectic enzyme can tend to produce a chemical which can inhibit the yeast from taking hold, much like too much k-meta can. But, they found that as long as there was time between the addition of k-meta and pectic enzyme, and then pitching the yeast, the ferment had no out of the ordinary issues. Wait times could range from 4-24 hours. Reversing the order will not cause an issue, and many people have indicated they added k-meta and enzyme at the same time and had no issues. I personally have made a batch or two in which my k-meta and enzyme were added at same time & there were no issues with extraction, fermentation or clearing.

Last edited:
studies have shown that pectic enzyme can tend to produce a chemical which can inhibit the yeast from taking hold, much like too much k-meta can.

I have never heard that before, I learn something new every day. I was under the impression that the K-meta can kill off the enzyme before it had a chance to work in the must.
typically I add everything to the must except enzyme and k-meta, let sit overnight to cool down, check sugars for the second time in the morning, then add the enzyme. Let the must sit another 24 hours then add the k-meta, another 24 hours then pitch the yeast.

Folks say that two cans of Alexander will produce a wine with less body, flavor. I agree with that but I used two cans of Alexander cab with six jars of smuckers blacberry jam(seedless) and that is the best red wine I have made thus far. I am going to use merlot next. I have heard it was very good.

Pectinase is a set of enzymes that break apart pectin. Pectinase itself is not alive so it can't be killed. They are the purified proteins (enzymes). I don't think k-meta should affect the pectinase. Saramc is right that the products of pectin digestion can inhibit yeast. Pectin is a polymer of galacturonic acid. Once freed up it has been shown to inhibit some wine yeasts. I don't know how much of a problem it is. I think it is not that critical the way we make wine today with strong cultivated wine yeasts. I've never had a problem adding pectinase and the yeast at the same time.

The reason there is a gap of time between the addition of k-meta/Campden and pectic enzyme is because studies have shown that pectic enzyme can tend to produce a chemical which can inhibit the yeast from taking hold, much like too much k-meta can.

Agreed and disagreed.

Yeat inhibits pectic enzymes and not the other way round. That is why pectic enzymes and sulphite are added to the must 24 hours before the yeast is added. Read my story on my weblog about this.

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.nl/2008/01/avonturen-op-het-pecto-pad-deel-2.html

The tests clearly show that the pectic enzymes do not do their job when there is yeast around.

Sulphite however is a totally different matter.
The yeast we use are cultivated and have a sulphite tolerancy. This means practically that yeast may be stunned for a while by the sulphite but in the end they will do their job. And you will need to use a whole lot of sulphites to stop the yeast. That is why a fermentation not can be stopped by using/adding sulphite.

Luc

Back