Will the malolactic bacteria from the free run be strong enough to work the second run?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distancerunner

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On 24 October, we inoculated the first runs of three different wines with Chris Hansen’s CH-16 malolactic bacteria, supplemented with Microessentials Oenos. On 26 October, we lightly pressed and then started a second run. We added water at half the amount of free run and press wine. Cane sugar added at two pounds to the gallon.

The second run(s) are working hard. It is a cool fermentation at ~70°.

What I am wondering is whether the malolactic bacteria is strong enough to carry through to the second run. Should I add some Oenos to the second run to support the bacteria?

On 24 October, we inoculated the first runs of three different wines with Chris Hansen’s CH-16 malolactic bacteria, supplemented with Microessentials Oenos. On 26 October, we lightly pressed and then started a second run. We added water at half the amount of free run and press wine. Cane sugar added at two pounds to the gallon.

The second run(s) are working hard. It is a cool fermentation at ~70°.

What I am wondering is whether the malolactic bacteria is strong enough to carry through to the second run. Should I add some Oenos to the second run to support the bacteria?

It should run right through whatever malic acid is left from round 1.

Agree, I was wondering how much acid would be left from round 1, probably not much.

Thank you, John.

Stickman: Good question.

The skins and remaining juice retained the same pH as the wines. The newly fermenting musts taste tart.

Today I'll take the pH again along with a hydrometer reading.

pH readings are 3.48, 3.21, and 3.34. Interestingly, they started at 3.49, 3.17, and 3.49.

Hydrometer readings were .992, .994, and 1.000 respectively.

Going to top the fermenters with argon for a couple of days and punch down only to keep the cap wet. Then we'll press.

I have a ML chromatography kit. We'll get started with that on the free/press runs and the second run after we press.

Unless someone has better ideas on how to progress from here. I'm open to better ideas.

Latest posts

Back