Will Star San kill malolactic bacteria?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeman

Reaction score
Searched for ‘Star San Malolactic’ and was surprised the system found nothing.

Will Star San kill malolactic bacteria? I’m asking because I want to use some plastic vessels to perform malolactic fermentation then reuse the same vessel for some whites, which rarely go through malo.

Pretty sure that’s not gonna be a concern at all. Only time to worry about active ML on the vessel is when it’s wood. Carboys and bottles can be cleaned and sanitized just as you normally would and good to go.
Obviously if using barrels- then would be a whole different discussion.

Searched for ‘Star San Malolactic’ and was surprised the system found nothing.

Will Star San kill malolactic bacteria? I’m asking because I want to use some plastic vessels to perform malolactic fermentation then reuse the same vessel for some whites, which rarely go through malo.
Yes star san will kill anything, its acid based. I used in in a fermentation vessel used for beer making that had been innoculated with Brettanomyces and then made a batch of beer to test it and was good to go. It killed it. So im fairly confident in saying it will kill malolactic bacteria.

Remember that these products are not like a coat of paint or varnish. When applied they do their sanitizing job and then start breaking down quickly. With bottles and equipment, once treated/sanitized, I cover and protect from exposure to bugs/dirt bacteria. If in doubt retreat things before using. The key is that initial sanitizing helps prevent bacteria from hiding and establishing colonies that could be harder to kill off later. Then the pre-use sanitizing stops any new 'contamination' that may have happened since first cleaned. Few if any of the cleaners we use will keep protecting for days or weeks after use. I think in terms of hours.

Last edited:
Completely agreed :) I just use Star San as it kills anything then the yeast in beer or wine break it down into useable food. It breaks down into minerals and they utilize it. It's also been really reliable. If you wait too long take a spray bottle of Star San and spray everything down again before use. Problem solved.

StarSan has a little catch phrase "Embrace the Foam." The idea put a few ozs of starsan solution in a carboy shake until you have a foam, pour out the starsan and leave the carboy upside down or on it's side. That foam shows that you have completely coated the surface. Same thing with those bottle washers that use a plunger action. The starsan foams up inside the bottle and you put the bottle on the drying rack. In a few hours the star san is gone and the bottles are sanitized. No harm to the wine when bottled. I've had bottles, containers, fermentation buckets still wet with starsan when I put my juice/fruit in there, no problem for the fermentation at all. Now leaving a couple of ozs of starsan in there might be an issue but again don't over think these things.

StarSan has a little catch phrase "Embrace the Foam." The idea put a few ozs of starsan solution in a carboy shake until you have a foam, pour out the starsan and leave the carboy upside down or on it's side. That foam shows that you have completely coated the surface. Same thing with those bottle washers that use a plunger action. The starsan foams up inside the bottle and you put the bottle on the drying rack. In a few hours the star san is gone and the bottles are sanitized. No harm to the wine when bottled. I've had bottles, containers, fermentation buckets still wet with starsan when I put my juice/fruit in there, no problem for the fermentation at all. Now leaving a couple of ozs of starsan in there might be an issue but again don't over think these things.

Not a starsan man myself anymore - but I did give it a fair shot. I’m a K-meta/citric man thru and thru.
And Scooter- typically I’m not the niggling type, but today I am I guess.
The catchphrase ! It’s called a catchphrase because it’s Catchy! “Embrace the foam” is the meaning of it, but not it. A little alliteration helps for committing to memory. Don’t FEAR the FOAM!” Please don’t disrespect the ad wizards over at Star san again. Thank you. :)

Not a starsan man myself anymore - but I did give it a fair shot. I’m a K-meta/citric man thru and thru.
And Scooter- typically I’m not the niggling type, but today I am I guess.
The catchphrase ! It’s called a catchphrase because it’s Catchy! “Embrace the foam” is the meaning of it, but not it. A little alliteration helps for committing to memory. Don’t FEAR the FOAM!” Please don’t disrespect the ad wizards over at Star san again. Thank you. :)

And I do appreciate the correction.

And I do appreciate the correction.

Lol. Just bustin chops. I don’t have a clue if Star san actually says that. But I have heard it multiple times by multiple people at multiple LBHS. And my brother in law who brews beer says it all the time.
And 1 quick note- one of the things I I love about using kmeta/citric is to add some to my cleaned empty vessels and plugged up. It keeps for a long while too. Pick it up- shake it around- dump and dry- and your good to go!

Meh, I use star san as its a old beer habit cause i still make beer and it guarantees that nothing is in the wine or beer.

never had a infection when ive used it.

When I saw that starsan was designed for use in commercial kitchens for general clean up I decided OK not just some specialized product for wine making but a good all-around product. AND I like how little it takes for a gallon. My quart bottle of StarSan should last a good long time.

And never mind a correction. I cringe when I hear phrases murdered - Like that old phrase... "That dog doesn't want to hunt."

(Well....Actually "That Dog Won't Hunt." )

Latest posts

Back