Will SG go lower?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadvocate

Reaction score
My SG has been at .998 for a couple days it's been cool here so tonight I gave it a mild stir and wrap it in a down comforter it hoping that it will ferment lower. I did taste it and it tasted a little sweeter than I wanted. Do you think that it will ferment lower or is this it? Is there anything else you think I can do? The next few days it's going to heat up in my neck of the woods. I will just sit and wait but just curious what others think.

I'd expect it to drop some more, if your reading is accurate. A low range hydrometer is worth the investment if you make many batches. Anyway, not sure how cold it has been, but it may have just slowed down. Did it make any bubbles when you stirred it? Is it under an airlock? If so no concerns here just letting it work. If not, you might rack it off and get it under an airlock to protect it.

I think the heat should definitely drop it some more over the next week. Your pressed and racked and technically in "secondary" right? I'd be surprised if it doesn't drop any more.
I had same starting numbers as you from same vinyard, but Cabernet. Though I bumped up SG to 1.102 (bit of a heavy hand) and spent over a day at .998 also.
Pressed then racked 2 days later (today). Letting it mellow out and will check new levels tomorrow

This is a sauvignon blanc juice bucket.(I have another thread on my Merlot grapes)
I definitely got some bubbles fizz when I stirred it which I thought was from the CO2. It's in a carboy and has been under an airlock for about a week. I will let it go this week see what happens no rush. Thanks for the replies.

Seems like any thing under 1.000 is considered dry. Are you tasting "sweetness" or "fruitier" at this stage? I thought my 2015 Cab (from grapes) was (in my opinion) too sweet.......everyone else thought it had a fruitier taste......and that finished at around .998 after secondary and sat in a carboy for a year before bottling. Your wine is very young at this stage.....let mother nature do her thing.

This is in regards to my Merlot grapes that I got recently.
So measured again today and it is still at .998. I tested MLF and that's at less than 30 ppm. I still see bubbles at the top and my free SO2 is at 0. So I was thinking about adding sulfite now. I tasted it had great mouth feel very tart though. Should I add sulfite now?

Temperature plays a huge role. I have some small batch of wines in the basement (16 degree C) without heating device that lasted forever to finish secondary fermentation, while a kit I did recently, only took 7 days to reach 0.995 from 1.10 with a temperature control device attached.

I added sulfite about a week ago and I still see a lot of bubbles coming up. I was only shooting for 20 ppm so I'm guessing it's not enough to inhibit the MLF.

I added sulfite about a week ago and I still see a lot of bubbles coming up. I was only shooting for 20 ppm so I'm guessing it's not enough to inhibit the MLF.

sulfite is not to stop fermentation until applying huge dose. patience plays the key role now to allow the fermentation finish by it own. i guess sorbate can inhibit yeast reproduction if u have some. filtration and reducing temperature can stop fermentation but usually not uses by home winemaker.

If fermentation is complete, you should add sulfite appropriate for a white wine (.8 molecular level) and in keeping with your pH. MLF is not typically done on sauvignon blanc, so unless you want to conduct a MLF, get your sulfite up to snuff and over 50 ppm.

You can disregard the above comment if you're talking about your red wine, but I think this is your Sauvignon Blanc thread.

Last edited:
I apologize I got the two mixed up. I was talking about the red merlot grapes. I had been waiting for the SG to get lower than .999-.998. but it has been five weeks since i started fermentation. I co-inoculated MLF and when I last checked it was at 18-4 ppm(Accuvin strip test). SG as of two days ago is still at .99-.998. I even added heat but it still stayed at .999-.998. So I sulfited but I didn't want to go to high. (.4 molecular level) It is still bubbling away. Granted I didn't degas either. I'm just going to leave it alone for a couple more months and then rack. The mouthfeel is great but the taste is tart which I attribute to its age.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back