Will pectin haze settle out

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val-the-Brew-Gal

Magickal Cat Wines
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a peach-apricot wine and I knew I should add extra pectic enzyme but then forgot to do it. I racked, treated and added SuperKleer and that's when I realized my mistake... the wine would not clear. I stirred in more pectic enzyme at that point and have it's been 3 weeks since that. The wine is 95% clear...you can see through well enough to read text but it's not crystal clear. Yes, I know that patience may eventually do the job for me but this is a batch I'm making for a friend and there is a deadline factor. So my questions are

1. Will filtering help?
2. If there is still a tiny bit of cloudiness left, will that eventually drop out as sediment in the bottle? (If it won't drop as sediment, then I think it would look clear enough in the glass that I would be okay bottling as it is.)

Thanks in advance!
Valorie

Last edited:
I went ahead and filtered the wine. It actually went through without clogging the filter pad. It turned out nicely cleared...or so I thought. It looks good from a distance but when I shine a light through, the wisps are starting to form again 🥺. I guess I'll hit it with more enzyme. I've attached pictures...

Attachments

• 20211101_134826.jpg
    20211101_134826.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • 20211101_133951.jpg
    20211101_133951.jpg
    999.5 KB · Views: 35
I went ahead and filtered the wine. It actually went through without clogging the filter pad. It turned out nicely cleared...or so I thought. It looks good from a distance but when I shine a light through, the wisps are starting to form again 🥺. I guess I'll hit it with more enzyme. I've attached pictures...
Like others have stated add another dose of Pectin Enzyme. It needs time to do the job. It sounds like time is the issue. If that's the case, then filter again before bottling. It might clear up, might not. Have you tried cold crashing? Maybe everything that you are seeing isn't pectin.

Like others have stated add another dose of Pectin Enzyme. It needs time to do the job. It sounds like time is the issue. If that's the case, then filter again before bottling. It might clear up, might not. Have you tried cold crashing? Maybe everything that you are seeing isn't pectin.

I have not tried cold crashing...I might give that a go just to be safe. I added more pectic enzyme yesterday and today the white wispy stuff is gone and it looks much better so that's good! I will wait a couple days then maybe filter one more time before bottling.

Latest posts

Back