WineXpert Will multiple delays spoil my wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globalnavigator

Reaction score
Through a recent rash of events, my current batch (started 4/3/16) of WineXpert LE Mosaic Red has had longer time between each step. Specifically, after Step 1 - primary fermentation, rather than the "5-7 days" until Step 2, it was 14 days. Then, instead of "10 days" until Step 3, I was 24 days(ugh). Now, I was supposed to complete Step 4 "8 days" later, but I was (you guessed it) late again at 23 days!

Am I screwed? Should I wait the full "14 days" now until I'm supposed to bottle? Any help would be appreciated!

Through a recent rash of events, my current batch (started 4/3/16) of WineXpert LE Mosaic Red has had longer time between each step. Specifically, after Step 1 - primary fermentation, rather than the "5-7 days" until Step 2, it was 14 days. Then, instead of "10 days" until Step 3, I was 24 days(ugh). Now, I was supposed to complete Step 4 "8 days" later, but I was (you guessed it) late again at 23 days!

Am I screwed? Should I wait the full "14 days" now until I'm supposed to bottle? Any help would be appreciated!

I think the only real step during a wine kit process that shouldn't be kept waiting is the time once it is done fermenting at it's final gravity to transferring it into a topped up container. This is to prevent the wine to become oxidized by too much airspace in the primary bucket without any SO2 to protect it.

Otherwise the other steps can really be customized to your schedule.

The jump from step 1 to step 2 I personally skip and finish out the fermentation in the bucket and only transfer when its done. Once I do this initial transfer that is when I add the chems that come with the kit, do my degassing, then re-rack into a 5 gallon carboy and keep it topped up.

After this it is on my schedule. if I want to check in 1 month later and rack again I can. I can leave it for 3-4 months without problems and my SO2 levels from the initial addition are still at a reasonable level (not zero).

The schedule the kits provide gives a good framework to getting a drinkable product in the time specified on the box. However you can follow this or a more relaxed schedule and you should have no problems.

Only 2 really important things.
1. Keep it topped up in the carboy after you are done degassing and adding Kmeta/sorbate.
2. Adding 1/8-1/4 tsp Kmeta every 3-4 months with rackings to keep your SO2 levels where they should be.

I don't do anything on the kits guideline lol just make sure there is no chance of spoilage such as stated above. I age in carboy.:b

I think the only real step during a wine kit process that shouldn't be kept waiting is the time once it is done fermenting at it's final gravity to transferring it into a topped up container. This is to prevent the wine to become oxidized by too much airspace in the primary bucket without any SO2 to protect it.

Otherwise the other steps can really be customized to your schedule.

The jump from step 1 to step 2 I personally skip and finish out the fermentation in the bucket and only transfer when its done. Once I do this initial transfer that is when I add the chems that come with the kit, do my degassing, then re-rack into a 5 gallon carboy and keep it topped up.

After this it is on my schedule. if I want to check in 1 month later and rack again I can. I can leave it for 3-4 months without problems and my SO2 levels from the initial addition are still at a reasonable level (not zero).

The schedule the kits provide gives a good framework to getting a drinkable product in the time specified on the box. However you can follow this or a more relaxed schedule and you should have no problems.

Only 2 really important things.
1. Keep it topped up in the carboy after you are done degassing and adding Kmeta/sorbate.
2. Adding 1/8-1/4 tsp Kmeta every 3-4 months with rackings to keep your SO2 levels where they should be.

So, according to this part of your reply

"I think the only real step during a wine kit process that shouldn't be kept waiting is the time once it is done fermenting at it's final gravity to transferring it into a topped up container. This is to prevent the wine to become oxidized by too much airspace in the primary bucket without any SO2 to protect it.",

my only worry was that it might have become oxidized between step 1 and step 2. Hopefully, that didn't happen! I'll taste some before I bottle or long term age in a carboy to check. Thanks!

The best thing about wine making is that there really isn't a schedule. As long as the wine is not exposed to air for too long, it only gets better by waiting. Lots of us go 6 months or longer before bottling and several years before drinking.

Step 1 is usually transferring it once the gravity is 1.010 or less....meaning there is still fermenting to complete and the wine is still producing CO2.

Step 2 is once the final gravity has been reached then transferring and continuing with the instructions.

I combine these 2 steps and leave it alone until it is done in the primary container. Even when it is done and finished in the bucket....there is CO2 in the airspace which will prolong the time for oxidation. I have at times forgot about it at this stage for 1-2 weeks and have not noticed any significant oxidation taste. My primary fermentation is done with a bucket and lid left loosely on top and only clicked down with an airlock after the gravity is 1.015 or below (roughly).

I don't think you will have any problems with how your schedule went, let us know!

Even when you get to the clearing stages of kit wine making, provided you're in a carboy with an airlock you're still fine (even without topping up). Most kit instructions tell you not to top up at this stage. I do get a little nervous once you get to step 4 and you haven't yet eliminated the headspace, though.

The only way to know is to taste it. It's a difficult mission, but dang it... Someone's gotta sacrifice.

My guess is that your wine is perfectly fine. It's probably been giving off plenty of co2 while it waited for you. Taste it. Look at the color. If it tastes and looks good, stop worrying. Rack it, top up, airlock it and wait another 3 months before you bottle (you are probably still a little gassy, even at this stage and you will be better served taking your time before putting it in the bottle).

Latest posts

Back