Will MLF help my acidic wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really enjoy reading the experienced giving advice to the novice but I wonder why first time winemakers work so hard at what should be a very easy and fun hobby. I’ve been making wine now for about 8 years, first was 6 gallon from 24 pounds of black raspberries, then cheap WE fruity kits tweaked with grape concentrate and sugar, then fresh juice buckets, mid-range kits tweaked with 8 pounds of black raspberries and high end kits not tweaked at all. Probably made more than 300 gallons so far plus 36 gallons currently bulk aging. All of these wines have been excellent, far surpassing $20 commercial wines, and never have I worried about going to the trouble of MLF, unless it is occurring by accident by extended time in primary or during bulk aging if that is possible. If a wine doesn’t taste quite right at first I just let it sit in the bottle until I feel like trying it again. It always comes around eventually. Unfortunately I have been unable too keep very much in the bottle for more than 5 years! I’m not trying to be negative; and I’m sure commercial wineries want to know exactly that they will get the result they expect; just saying that the beginner who works too hard at trying to make the “perfect” wine might get discouraged when it can be so very simple to make a very good wine.
@BABRU Don't worry, I am having fun. And as I said before I am only looking to make a second bottle of the night quality wine. I just wondered where all the acid came from during my primary and why my wine tastes so bad right now. As an eternal optimist, I still have hope for this wine and I enjoy the experts weighing in. Cheers!

My package has a mfg date of 3/25/19, so hopefully its OK. Both reviews on morewine gave it 5 stars, so I will hope for the best, and I can report back. Thanks for all of the good advice.

So, my MLF never did complete with the liquid malo. On July 15th I reinoculated with VP41 and added acti-malo. So far there hasn’t been any more movement with the malo to lactic. Should I just go ahead and add the k-meta and rack to a new carboy? This wine has been sitting in this one since I started the first MLF on 5/17. See photo of last 2 chromagraphies, which look like the one before I reinoculated.
Thanks for any advise.

Attachments

• D6DD4672-EE54-4332-82C1-709B389B6342.jpeg
    D6DD4672-EE54-4332-82C1-709B389B6342.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Back