WineXpert wildberry shiraz rocket fuel :(

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drizztkun

Reaction score
Well err not sure what i should do at this point, been a month it's aging in bottle and i took a sample today, and it taste so strongly like alcohol... it did too before adding the fpack but i thought maybe after i added it, it would mellow out, but thats not the case.

starting sg 1.080, racked to secondary at 1.010 degass added all the stuff and fpack at 0.990

only thing is to crank my sg up i used simple syrup and it wasnt high enough and i got too lazy to go and make more so i just used normal sugar. i did stir a lot but i wonder if some had not properly dissolve and ended up that my sg got way higher after a day? dunno

Now what can i do, i guess i could always start another batch and split it in two after degassing.

oh another thing this one seemed quite a bit fizzy when i tasted too, maybe i didnt degass enough? i plan on filtering before bottling, when im done filtering i let the vaccum suck whatever may be left so should i be ok?

Is the wine clear now? If you need to rack it off the fine lees why don't you let it sit another month or two then rack off the lees letting them compact a bit before you filter. I would also tip the carboy to keep the fine lees on one side. With this extra time maybe your wine will settle down some.

Adding undissloved sugar most likely is the culprit and yes the lony thing to do from here is blend.

Yeah i was kind of afraid of that, because so far i dont really seem to enjoy the taste. too much corn syruppy. either that or keep it this way and use it to mix with club soda/7up

the strawberry white merlot was awesome though didnt last me

Is the wine clear now? If you need to rack it off the fine lees why don't you let it sit another month or two then rack off the lees letting them compact a bit before you filter. I would also tip the carboy to keep the fine lees on one side. With this extra time maybe your wine will settle down some.

yeah it cleared just fine. i'll probably end up blending it we'll see i wanted to start another strawberry one cuz i got like 2 or 3 bottle left

Sounds like maybe you overdid the sugar boost a tad. I've been shooting for about 1.068 starting SG, and these kits have been coming out terrific, I can't make them fast enough because all the neighbors want some :m

If it's a bit hot make sure to serve it cold, and mix with some soda like sprite or squirt to thin it out a little.

1.068 you say huh mmm dunno why i think then i wanted to shoot for 1.090 to get a wine around 12%
now i got no way of really knowing how much its at.
Still havent decide what i'll do with this batch

Drizz,
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I am experiencing the same thing. Same kit, added corn sugar to up starting sg to 1.070. Fermented to .992. It has been clearing for 2 weeks. I took a taste and it is rocket fuel.

I did not add the sugar as a simple syrup. I just dumped it in because the corn sugar dissolves so easily. Wade (or anyone), can you explain why adding undissolved sugar is different from adding simple syrup?

Is there any hope in the rocket fuel taste reducing with age? I'm considering blending this with some apple or blueberry juice to reduce the alcohol taste. Is this silly?

Thanks,
Dave

I'd bottle it as is, and use it as a base for mixed drink. Soda, Juice, etc.

I don't recommend boosting these kits.
They will already be more than 5% up to 7%.
Like a cooler or Smirnof sp?

If you do boost, only use dextrose, it disolves 99.9% compared to others.

Instead of boosting - make them as is, and boost when you serve.
If you need a boost, do it after with a shot of vodka, or your choice of rocket fuel.

I typically make a punch up for parties using these as a base, adding soda water, booze of choice, fruit juice of choice, and fresh fruit.

Cheers
Brian

Back