Wild Yeast not stopped by Campden

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellcin

Junior
Reaction score
I started my muscadine wine yesterday and added campden at the end. This morning I see the wine has started fermenting. It's not 24 hours yet. I have never had the wild yeast survive the campden before. Is this a problem? Do I add more campden and wait another 24 or go ahead and stay on target to add the Lavlin? (we smashed the grapes ourselves this is not a processed juice)

Go ahead and pitch the Lalvin yeast that you have. They will become the dominant yeast and take over.
How much must do you have and how much potassium metabisulfite (campden) did you add?
I made a standard mix. 30lbs muscadines and filled the primary up to 6 gallons. I added 5 crushed campden and as I type this i'm thinking I probably should have done 6 tablets.

Not all wild yeast is killed or stunted by SO2. You have a tough one -- pitch the Lalvin and don't worry about it.

A lot of folks, including me, do not add K-meta until after fermentation is complete. A good commercial yeast (which includes Lalvin, Red Star, etc.) will crowd out competitors.

Latest posts

Back