Wild Yeast Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodmo1

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am not a new wine maker but have encountered a problem for the first time. Yesterday I started my must. 25#'s of strawberries run through my processor to a fine slurry. I added just 1/4 tsp of sulfite to each 3 gallon primary fermenter. I am doing 2 three gallon batches. This morning I noticed that my must is already fermenting. I guess the sulfite was not enough to complete the job. So here is my question...Should I add more sulfite potentially giving the wine a bad taste but killing the yeast that is already active...should I boil the must to sterilize it then add the yeast I want...Should I just let it continue to ferment on its own and hope for the best...or should I just throw my own yeast in there and hope it takes over? Strawberry season is over here so this is my last chance for strawberry wine this year. I should also note that the strawberries I used were over ripe which I believe is the root cause of the problem, however $5 for 25#'s of strawberries is to good to pass up. Please hel-p I do not want 6 gallons of vinegar.

Rod Morgan

I've never had that happen before but I'd either boil the must and start fresh or I'd pitch the proper yeast in the hopes that the cultured yeast would take over and in all likely hood it probably would.

Hello
I am a home winemaker who as white wine finished fermenting but is still VERY active.
We didn't use any dry yeast but a wild one
How long does this very activity go on for?
Is there anything to do or just wait
Subtropics

I started making wine after meeting a Amish guy who made his wine with the wild yeast. Honestly I wish my wine tasted as good as his... Maybe some day.

Wow, the original post is old! Anyway, if you run up against a wild yeast that has started even though you put in k meta, just go ahead and add your intended yeast. It has been bred to outcompete wild yeasts.

Yes, good wines can be made with wild yeasts but it is a hit or miss proposition. If you want predictability, you'll spend the buck for a specific wine yeast with the qualities you desire.

Davolous, IMO the quickest way to great wines from scratch is to use all fruit and very little or ideally no water.

I would make a good yeast starter and pitch. I would use V1116 yeast because it can overcome wild yeast.

Hello
I am a home winemaker who as white wine finished fermenting but is still VERY active.
We didn't use any dry yeast but a wild one
How long does this very activity go on for?
Is there anything to do or just wait
Subtropics
How do you know it's finished fermenting? The best way to tell is specific gravity read with a hydrometer. Do you have a specific gravity reading?

What does VERY active mean? Bubbles are coming out of the air-lock? Could be two things...fermentation continuing or dissolved CO2 escaping. Again do you have an sg reading? Plus what temperature is the wine at?

Steve

Latest posts

Back