Wild Plum Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember - It's unlikely that you really got rid of all the gas. Certainly you got rid of a lot but it doesn't take much to keep that sediment suspended. Time is the best and safest answer now. Every 'chemical' or fining agent has some degree or risk but time will only improve the wine as well as clear it.

Remember - It's unlikely that you really got rid of all the gas. Certainly you got rid of a lot but it doesn't take much to keep that sediment suspended. Time is the best and safest answer now. Every 'chemical' or fining agent has some degree or risk but time will only improve the wine as well as clear it.
Words of wisdom! I'm starting to understand the difference in mindset between a kit wine and a home made wine.

Words of wisdom! I'm starting to understand the difference in mindset between a kit wine and a home made wine.
In reality even if a kit wine includes fining agents and specific instructions, they generally are more interested in getting you to put that wine into bottles as soon as possible so you can buy another kit. AND in reality their instructions regarding the time to clear and age a wine are also done with the focus again on having you 'finish' that kit so you can buy an start another.
They don't want you to make bad wine, they just want you to buy more.

Interesting observation, if I read you correctly CO2 in a year old peach would delay clarification and it would settle faster in just a month in a bottle since I vacuum. Next I wonder what else this impacts ex cloudy mead?

I let my wild plum wine clear on its own. I post pic of bottles wine from 2017 in a minute.

Interesting observation, if I read you correctly CO2 in a year old peach would delay clarification and it would settle faster in just a month in a bottle since I vacuum. Next I wonder what else this impacts ex cloudy mead?
Certainly not likely a year down the road and that's not what I was suggesting to OP - His wine has just recently finished fermentation and in that case the CO2 could certainly hang around a while. Even whipping it isn't a guarantee that the gas is gone. I personally don't whip my wines but just let them de-gas naturally as I age most all my wines for not less than 6-12 months (6 months is a rare occasion - only if completely cleared and a taste sample reveals no sharp edge to it)
IF I was going to whip a wine I would wait until I'm not seeing a measurable layer of sediment on the bottom of the carboy. I normally rack initially into a carboy at 1.010 or lower (mostly lower/finished these days) then, if the racking was done after ferment is completed, I wait about 2-4 weeks and rack again off that sediment which is normally somewhere between 1/4 to 1 inch and compacted a bit. Only after that racking would I consider whipping the wine. Keep in mind that I'm working exclusively with non-grape wines and many times there are no skins present to benefit from a sur lie aging. With skins and sur lie aging that's a different ball game - Like Rugby vs American Football.

Latest posts

Back