Wild Plum Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justsipn

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've contemplated at some point using wild plums in my rhubarb wine. I see below there's a plum wine thread, but I think that's more about domesticated plums. I have tons of wild plums around me. I would like to make a gallon of it this summer to see if it is even worth messing with in a larger batch of rhubarb.

So, anyone ever use this? Recipe?? Think it would be a horrible idea??? They taste very different than a regular plum you get from the store. I'm guessing they have less sugar.

I made wild plum port once, I kept feeding it sugar till it got to 18%. Tried to adjust the acid without using too much water. After three years it was pretty good, prior to that the young wine would have made very good cleaner or disinfectant. Never again. Now my wild grape port turned out real nice after three years. I call them port because of the alcohol level.

Wood, do u know what the final gravity was? I started a plum/ blueberry last night I was planning on step feeding up to port level (18+%). First attempt so I don’t know what to expect.

I just bottled a batch of wild plum wine on Easter Sunday. I thought the taste was pretty decent. I do however, want to age it for at least a year, maybe 2 or 3.

Dawg-I will probably try a bottle after a year and another after two, just to compare. In the meantime I have enough wild plum/sandplum juice to start another 3 gallon batch. I'm just waiting to get some of this skeeter pee finished so I can have a carboy or two empty.

I've only got 1 sand plum tree in my front yard. Hoping it gives me enough fruit this year for another 5 gallon batch. Year before last, I had to add red plums from the store and blackberries we picked to get enough fruit for the batch. It aged 1 yr last month. It's pretty good!

Dkrmwiz-That sounds like a good combination. Sometimes fruit tastes best when it's mixed with other fruit.

I call sand plum wild plum not sure if same thing. Trees are small fruit is small and I thought it turned out great. I'm talking North Dakota. I did 4 lbs to the gal.

Latest posts

Back