Wild plum is very tart. Backsweeten?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donatelo

Reaction score
I made 6 fifths of Wild plum wine . It turned out very tart. I added 3 teaspoons of sugar to 8 ounces of wine and it seems to be a lot better. If my calculations are correct this should give me 1cup of sugar to the gallon. I boiled a cup of water and dissolved a cup of sugar. This is now sitting on my desk waiting to cool.
Before I add this I ask better than I if this sounds about right. Do I need to add something to prevent further fermentation. The wine has finished with no yeast action for about 2 months now.

Seems a little early (In terms of aging time) to back-sweeten and the amount of sugar seems a bit high too but - it needs to be to your desires not someone elses. I personally would suggest waiting a few more months. Normally after 2 months it will still have quite a bit of edge to it. My one experience with plum was from a can of Vintner's Harvest and it cleared quickly and honestly was ready to bottle in about 9 months.
If you can, I would wait at least 4-6 months.

Oh and yest, if you are going to back-sweeten you need to be sure both your K-Meta and Potassium Sorbate is in the mix before you back-sweeten.

Thanks for the input. I already added the sugar solution. I have potassium sorbate and campden tablets. Added that and It tastes a lot better. I doubt it will last the month. My daughter and friends are always after a bottle of my wine.

Try hiding a bottle from each batch, call it your special reserve. Don't open until at least 18 months. Bet once someone tastes one of those they will gain a little more understanding. It's like night and day.

Latest posts

Back