Wild Grape Wine Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is ready to drink as soon as fermentation is complete. Usually about 2 weeks after “brewing”.
Hard Lemonade
12 cans frozen lemonade concentrate
1 pound extra light dry malt extract (beer supply store)
7 teaspoons yeast nutrient
3 pounds corn sugar
2 packages of EC1118 or Nottingham yeast
Potassium Sorbate
Cane sugar
Rehydrate yeast with 1cup of warm water, 1 tablespoon of lemonade concentrate and a bit of yeast nutrient. Let rehydrate for 30 minutes.
For the wort mix the dry malt extract and corn sugar with 2 gallons of boiling water. After sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and add the rest of the yeast nutrient. Add 10 cans of the lemonade concentrate and cold water to make 5 gallons. Once cool, pitch the yeast. I ferment in a car boy with airlock. This is more beer than wine.
I let it ferment until it clears then I back-sweeten. After I rack to a bottling bucket, I add a mix of 4 cups of cane sugar, 2 cans lemonade concentrate, 3 cups of water and 3 1/2 teaspoons of potassium sorbate. You can use up to 8 cups of sugar but I find that too sweet. This is ready to drink on bottling day. I keg mine and don’t bother with the sorbate. You can make a million alternatives. I added a concentrate of hibiscus tea to my last batch. That was marvelous!

I don’t want to start a war over Skeeter Pee and Dragon Blood. I’m just offering an alternative.
Hello VinesnBines,
I have a question on the Skeeter Pee with a twist. Is this like wine with oxidation? I have a large carboy and apparently don't drink enough; but I have not worried about the headspace as I would in my winemaking. Should I be bottling it after it is complete to avoid this?
Thanks!

Next year try straight grape juice. Also try getting MLF going to help reduce the acid. The only time I made wild grape wine I made it like a port. I kept adding sugar till EC 1118 died I think I got around 18% Abv. after about 4 years it was pretty good.
Can you use baking soda to lessen acid?

I think it would make the juice bitter, try mlf bacteria or potassium bicarbonate
I may try that with this batch of (indian; mustang; fox) grape wine. Again, it has been many years since i have tried this. I do remember doing an orange, peach, mango from concentrate and it did well with a couple tsp of baking soda and the wine snobs that tried it never mentioned bitter. I am going to try it.

Can you use baking soda to lessen acid?
#1 chill the wine for a few weeks in a fridge or garage/ shed which is between 28 and 34 F
#2 potassium bicarbonate is normal and food grade chemical is available at the local wine supply store, potassium gives a bitter note I wouldn't do this for over .2 pH unit
#3 back sweeten the finished wine, sugar is magic and it will also increase the fruity notes
#4 baking soda has sodium in it, it works but give slight salty note.
#5 as wood said MLF

My favorite process is to mix with a less acidic juice.

Latest posts

Back