Wild Foraging for winemaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snicklefritz

Junior
Reaction score
Im a newbie, only made a few batches to date but im super hooked having so much fun. Im a bit of a plant enthusiasts as well and do a lot of wild foraging. ive made some very unique and tasty flavor combos for tea and im curious if i could use wild herbs to flavor my wines as well. Has anyone tried this? If so, please share. I was thinking nettles, hawthorne, red clover, etc.

I tried adding wild grapes to a kit of Barlolo. Worst stuff ever. I think the grapes were not ripe enough. That was 2013 and I still have most left. (That's because Rocky told me to be patient). I put the grapes in the batch in the evening in the basement, the smell was so bad it woke me up in the night upstairs. I took out the grapes but it was to late. Smelled like a dead skunk.

To this day when we host a wine tasting I put out a bottle "The worst wine I ever made" Everyone has to try it. After 7 yrs it has a very spicy flavor, it's not a favorite of mine but it is now drinkable. It makes the best
Boeuf Bourguignon.

So be careful about foraging for additives. I would try service berry or coke cherry, but I never beat the birds to them. Mulberry might be a good choice. No matter what happens don't pitch it. Time definitely helps even the worst batch of wine.

As plants go, if you add anything like rosemary, or thyme, keep it to a very small amount, 1 tsp/6 gal. A little goes a lonnnng way. I once added 2 tbs coffee to a 6 gal batch, I had to spread that out over 24 gal to get it to the point that all you tasted was coffee.

Have funAttach files

Thank you, i dont have access to brewers yeast except online and shipping is a gamble right now with this pandemic so Ive been experimenting with wild yeasts. I have raspberries, thimbleberries, blackberry brambles, hawthorne, serviceberries, false solomons seal, elderberries, wild roses, lilacs, violets, nettles and a variety of edible common weeds just growing on my property. Ive even got some miners lettuce and morel mushrooms that grow in the wooded area near my yard. My berries arent ready yet so ive got some dandelion ginger wine going now. I was thinking maybe some nettle beer might be good but not sure how. It seems many recipes call for ale yeast (??) Hmmm. I wonder if i could wild ferment them.

Hawthorne leaves are said to taste of apples and my raspberry leaves are quite fragrant but i know berry leaves have tannins which can be harmful if you ingest too much of them. I use them in tea but wine infuses much longer.

I have 2 acres of ravine and never morels. Nearly all oak and hickory trees. Found a morel once up by the house in the new mulch.

I have been getting yeast from my local homebrew store- they are shipping, and excellent people/help. (MDHB.com) I am sure Labelpeelers.com, Morewinemaking.com or other homebrew places are fine with shipping as well. I keep extra in the fridge just in case of random urgent fermentations about to happen. If you were to get massive amounts of fresh grape at harvest, I'd get fresher yeast ahead of time to be sure of success. But in general it's like bread yeast and will keep for a while.

I have 2 acres of ravine and never morels. Nearly all oak and hickory trees. Found a morel once up by the house in the new mulch.
Morels spores are tough, they're often found after fire because the fire strips away the outer shell so to speak and allows for germination. Without the help of fire a morel spore could take around 5yrs to germinate! I made a firepit in my yard a few yrs ago and found morels near it the next spring but i lived here 7yrs prior to that and never saw any.

guess I'll start a forest fire. I could do a controlled burn on some of the ravine floor. worth the try

Morels spores are tough, they're often found after fire because the fire strips away the outer shell so to speak and allows for germination. Without the help of fire a morel spore could take around 5yrs to germinate! I made a firepit in my yard a few yrs ago and found morels near it the next spring but i lived here 7yrs prior to that and never saw any.

Are you in the west? I don't understand why, but I thought it was conventional wisdom that fire -> morels west of the Rockies, but not so in the east. Not sure why that would be the case. Anyone else heard that or care to disabuse me of my ignorance?

guess I'll start a forest fire. I could do a controlled burn on some of the ravine floor. worth the try
um i tried that controlled burn, on a 40 acre patch, after oh around 500 acre was put out, 499 of it not mine nore dad's all the neighbors said no harm no foul and refused to press charges against me, i used to clear patches of our land let it brush up and the neighbors had stands 40 yards back on 3 sides, now the forty did not burn nor any of my land except maybe a acre and a half. but the fire department sent me a bill for $500, since the forestry dept could not find not a one of them deer hunters/land owners to file a complaint. since when its time for a new clearing to grow up there's chainsaws and tractors everywhere, so dont burn on a day that right after you light it, if the wind makes a 180 degree turn
just a thought ,
OH BTW the fire dept never even come out,,,
Dawg

Thank you, i dont have access to brewers yeast except online and shipping is a gamble right now with this pandemic so Ive been experimenting with wild yeasts. I have raspberries, thimbleberries, blackberry brambles, hawthorne, serviceberries, false solomons seal, elderberries, wild roses, lilacs, violets, nettles and a variety of edible common weeds just growing on my property. Ive even got some miners lettuce and morel mushrooms that grow in the wooded area near my yard. My berries arent ready yet so ive got some dandelion ginger wine going now. I was thinking maybe some nettle beer might be good but not sure how. It seems many recipes call for ale yeast (??) Hmmm. I wonder if i could wild ferment them.
them wild bair blackberries make killer wines much better then tame blackberries, as for adding use a little crabapple or elderberries in your more soft favor wines, instead of tannings, my 1 ounce bottle of tanning is unused, crabapple and elderberry will give them to smooth wines that sought after tart finish, until my feet got so bad i used the old ways from south of the dixon mason line, old ways as in hillbilly ways, using what we had,
Dawg

um i tried that controlled burn, on a 40 acre patch, after oh around 500 acre was put out, 499 of it not mine nore dad's all the neighbors said no harm no foul and refused to press charges against me, i used to clear patches of our land let it brush up and the neighbors had stands 40 yards back on 3 sides, now the forty did not burn nor any of my land except maybe a acre and a half. but the fire department sent me a bill for $500, since the forestry dept could not find not a one of them deer hunters/land owners to file a complaint. since when its time for a new clearing to grow up there's chainsaws and tractors everywhere, so dont burn on a day that right after you light it, if the wind makes a 180 degree turn
just a thought ,
OH BTW the fire dept never even come out,,,
Dawg
Most of northern Wisconsin is on "HIGH" fire alert, but we did get a little rain last night.

Are you in the west? I don't understand why, but I thought it was conventional wisdom that fire -> morels west of the Rockies, but not so in the east. Not sure why that would be the case. Anyone else heard that or care to disabuse me of my ignorance?
Yes im in the west, never been too far east but there are different kinds of morels ours are mostly dark ive heard they can be found in lighter browns and yellows, maybe some germinate more readily. Ive also heard of people propagating and growing them at home but not sure how.

them wild bair blackberries make killer wines much better then tame blackberries, as for adding use a little crabapple or elderberries in your more soft favor wines, instead of tannings, my 1 ounce bottle of tanning is unused, crabapple and elderberry will give them to smooth wines that sought after tart finish, until my feet got so bad i used the old ways from south of the dixon mason line, old ways as in hillbilly ways, using what we had,
Dawg
So ive heard, the brambles are everywhere but ill have to pick and freeze until i have enough, they dont yeild like a blackberry bush. I usually mix them with my raspberries and thimbleberries. My elderberry trees are just starting to bloom and im excited to try the flowers.

I have been getting yeast from my local homebrew store- they are shipping, and excellent people/help. (MDHB.com) I am sure Labelpeelers.com, Morewinemaking.com or other homebrew places are fine with shipping as well. I keep extra in the fridge just in case of random urgent fermentations about to happen. If you were to get massive amounts of fresh grape at harvest, I'd get fresher yeast ahead of time to be sure of success. But in general it's like bread yeast and will keep for a while.
Thanks ill check it out, i usually just order from amazon cause that's where i shop anyway but last order i placed mid march and still haven't recieved my pkgs yet.

Also, ive noticed that many recipes call for raisins or dates. Would dried cranberries or rose hips work the same. I dont like raisins, i cant taste them in my wines but cranberries or rose hips might add a hint of flavor if they work the same.

I tried adding wild grapes to a kit of Barlolo. Worst stuff ever. I think the grapes were not ripe enough. That was 2013 and I still have most left. (That's because Rocky told me to be patient). I put the grapes in the batch in the evening in the basement, the smell was so bad it woke me up in the night upstairs. I took out the grapes but it was to late. Smelled like a dead skunk.

To this day when we host a wine tasting I put out a bottle "The worst wine I ever made" Everyone has to try it. After 7 yrs it has a very spicy flavor, it's not a favorite of mine but it is now drinkable. It makes the best
Boeuf Bourguignon.

So be careful about foraging for additives. I would try service berry or coke cherry, but I never beat the birds to them. Mulberry might be a good choice. No matter what happens don't pitch it. Time definitely helps even the worst batch of wine.

As plants go, if you add anything like rosemary, or thyme, keep it to a very small amount, 1 tsp/6 gal. A little goes a lonnnng way. I once added 2 tbs coffee to a 6 gal batch, I had to spread that out over 24 gal to get it to the point that all you tasted was coffee.

Have funAttach files
I did a lilac wine, it seemed to be going great at the start and then got kinda smelly, i got some really mixed feedback from others who tried to make it. Apparently lilac wine goes through some very dramatic changes in color, odor and taste. Its not done yet and i haven't braved a taste. I wanted to pitch it but instead ive hidden it away. Ill see how it goes i guess. My strawberry meade is done but tastes a bit harsh, im hoping it too will mellow out with age.

So ive heard, the brambles are everywhere but ill have to pick and freeze until i have enough, they dont yeild like a blackberry bush. I usually mix them with my raspberries and thimbleberries. My elderberry trees are just starting to bloom and im excited to try the flowers.
untill my feet went bad i picked and froze, now dad and i ride around in a side beside kubota and eat all we can reach,lol
Dawg

Latest posts

Back