Wild Blackberry wine smell Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilkey43

Junior
Reaction score
I just started a batch of wild Blackberry wine in a 5 gallon primary on Sunday 07-05-09 on the first stirring 24 hrs after yeast was added it smells like a burgandy is this a normal smell? this is my first batch using blackberries. Berries were picked then frozen until enough could be collected

recipe

21 Lbs Fresh picked wild blackberries
12.5 lbs of sugar
3 gl destilled water
2.5 tsp acid blend
2.5 tsp peptic enzyme
5 tsp Nutrient
5 crushed camden tabs
1 cup OJ
lalvin K1-V1116 yeast

first started yeast in a room temp cup of OJ and placed in warm area for 24 hrs

warmed water to 200 deg F and turned in 12.5 lbs of Sugar until all was desolved

placed the 21 lbs of frozen blackberries in 5 gallon Primary then took hot water and dumped over berries until bucket was about an inch from the top
and returned remaining sugar water to a plastic jug for top off later after 5 days and pulp is removed.

mixed all the camden tabs, peptic enzyme, Nutrient and acid blend in a cup of distilled water until disolved and mixed into primary closed lid and let sit for 24 hrs.

After 24 hrs used a strainer and removed berries and crushed them and placed them into a second bucket until all berries had been crushed, then pulp was returned to primary.

Yeast starter was then added and mixed into pulp.

an airlock was added to primary to keep dust out of the gromit hole but no water was added to the airlock

first stirring was done 07-07-09

Everything seems good. I suspect what you smell is just the yeast doing its thing. Some fruit wines produce a different smell.
My only question is why did you remove the berries and crush them. The pectic and yeast will have done it. Instead I would have put the berries in a straining bag so it would be easy to remove.

I agree with Tom, but you might be able to rent a filter from a LHBS for a reasonable fee.

I have noticed that blackberries have a rich fermented smell, taste and feel, which might be your burgundy scent.

to answer your question why did I pull the berries and crush them besides being fun I have used the blackberry wine making as a way to help me quit smoking the picking of the berries somedays 1lbs at a time kept my mind on other things then a cigarette. I ended up picking over 35 lbs of blackberries this year for this wine, pies and jams

Everything sounds good about the recipe with the exception of not waiting 12 hours after adding sulfites to add the pectic enzyme. That would not cause any off flavors or smells though, just wont work as well or so Ive read. Pectic enyme has been nown to not work as good when used with higher temps or with a higher ranges of S02 which are present immediately after adding S02.

Latest posts

Back