Wild Berry Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
Mitchell's Wild Berry Apple Wine

1/2 pound Raspberries
1/2 pound Blueberries
1/4 pound Strawberries
1 gallon Apple Juice (store bought 100% juice or fresh pressed cider)
1 Campden tablet
Pectic Enzyme
1 packet Red Star Champagne yeast

Start by throwing the berries into a blender with a little bit of the apple juice. Blend well. Pour must into primary and add campden and pectic enzyme. Let sit 24 hours. After 24 hours, pitch yeast, and let ferment on pulp for 2 weeks. Rack and ferment an additional 2 weeks. Rack again and ferment until clear (about 1 month). Rack again and bulk age 3-6 months. Bottle.

My OG was 1.084, and as of the bulk aging rack, SG had dropped to 0.998. The primary fermentation quantity actually comes out to about 1.25-1.5 gallons due to 1 full gallon of apple juice as well as the berry juice. When I tasted it at the bulk aging rack, it was still quite tart, and the alcohol flavor was strong. I'm hoping that 3 months will mellow it a bit, if not then I'll let it sit for another 3 months. I'll update when it's done with bulk aging.

theres no sugar in the recipe
is this correct or did you forget to type it in lol

That is the recipe, as posted by Mitchell.

There would be quite a high natural sugar level in the must as there is no added water at all.

Allie

I wonder why only 1/4 lb of Strawberry? It will get lost in the berry flavors.
Sounds like one I will try though, thanks Steve

Is this just a 1 gallon recipe? Has anyone else done this? I might make this x3 and see how it comes out.

Mitchell's Wild Berry Apple Wine

1/2 pound Raspberries
1/2 pound Blueberries
1/4 pound Strawberries
1 gallon Apple Juice (store bought 100% juice or fresh pressed cider)
1 Campden tablet
Pectic Enzyme
1 packet Red Star Champagne yeast

Start by throwing the berries into a blender with a little bit of the apple juice. Blend well. Pour must into primary and add campden and pectic enzyme. Let sit 24 hours. After 24 hours, pitch yeast, and let ferment on pulp for 2 weeks. Rack and ferment an additional 2 weeks. Rack again and ferment until clear (about 1 month). Rack again and bulk age 3-6 months. Bottle.

My OG was 1.084, and as of the bulk aging rack, SG had dropped to 0.998. The primary fermentation quantity actually comes out to about 1.25-1.5 gallons due to 1 full gallon of apple juice as well as the berry juice. When I tasted it at the bulk aging rack, it was still quite tart, and the alcohol flavor was strong. I'm hoping that 3 months will mellow it a bit, if not then I'll let it sit for another 3 months. I'll update when it's done with bulk aging.

I was wondering what I was going to make next. You have inspired me.

I think I will use 3 or 4 bags of Triple Berry Blend with 4 or 5 gal of Apple juice.

RR

When I tasted it at the bulk aging rack, it was still quite tart, and the alcohol flavor was strong. I'm hoping that 3 months will mellow it a bit, if not then I'll let it sit for another 3 months. I'll update when it's done with bulk aging.

Both will improve at 3, but I'll bet you need to set some aside for longer than 6 months. It should be good if given the time.

If you want to rush it a bit on the tartness, try adding baking soda. It mellows the acid.

What if I juiced all the berries and put all the pulp in a cheese cloth, any thoughts?

What if I juiced all the berries and put all the pulp in a cheese cloth, any thoughts?

I think it would be an extra step you really dont need to do. Putting the fruit in a nylon bag and the addition of Pectic enzyme is all you really need.

RR

Just to see if I would like this I mixed 3/4 cup apple with 1/4 mixed berry (blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, and strawberry), it is fantastic. I'm gonna start on a 6 gal batch before the week is out.

I started mine today.

12 cans old orchard apple juice
5 cans old orchard "berry blend"
Water per instructions
Sugar to 1.090 ( didn't actually measure the sugar)

Got almost a 6 1/2 gallon Carboy full, yeast looks happy, happy, happy.

Started mine the other day. I used 5 gal apple juice, 5 - 12oz bags of frozen quad berry mix. Sg 1.098ish. Used Red Star champagne yeast. It is bubbling away. Smells and tastes awesome!!!

RR

Any thoughts on making this a little darker? What other juice can I add with apple? Possibly grape?

Another question do you let the fruit defrost before throwing it in or just let it defrost in the bucket!

Darker as in add other juice, wouldn't use any food coloring was thinking the berries would add more color

You could always add more blackberry but its designed as a light wine. You don't want too much heavy fruit to mask the apple.

That's about 1/4 mixed berry to 3/4 apple. You can go as high as half and half. But it starts to hide the apple.

Latest posts

Back