Wild Berry Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a batch in primary right now, and love the colour! My osg Was 1.093. Checked it today and it was 1.01. I think I will rack into secondary in the next few days. I will keep you posted.Great recipe!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Racked into secondary yesterday. Today it cleared way more than I expected! ImageUploadedByWine Making1412254273.665175.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Having a glass with husband after a long, long day and it's great! A bit tart but very tasty... Any ageing updates?

Mine too is a little tart but I am not yet read to bottle (just pitched the yeast at the beginning of January). Any suggestions as to how to cut the acidity? Would back-sweetening help to balance this out? I see that Jim suggested adding baking powder but I'd prefer not to go that route although I have (slightly) less anxiety about adding K-carbonate.

I checked my carboy this morning (I am an early riser) and spent 15 minutes removing CO2 from the carboy by pulling a vacuum. Pam, was your wine CO2 -free when you bottled it? Three months seems like an incredibly short amount of time from yeast to bottling... I think what I might do is let it sit on oak for a week or so and then bottle..

I degassed mine before bottling too. It was one of my first wines and did not know a lot... I still don't? :) I didn't back sweeten but it should have been. I'll do this again but I won't let it get so dry and I'll sweeten.

I'll do this again but I won't let it get so dry and I'll sweeten.

Conventional wisdom is that you must let it go all the way to dry, then let it sit a bit, and then add potassium sorbate before backsweetening. I.e., there isn't a practical way for a home winemaker to stop an active fermentation, leaving some sugar behind.

I just started my latest batch.

22 cans old orchard apple
16 cans old orchard berry blend
90 cans water (calls for 114 but this boosts the flavor)
Sugar to 1.095
4 teaspoons fermax
2 packets rc-212 yeast

This is a double batch from my last recipe which is very good.

Got this in my 20 gallon brute can. Once the fermentation calms down a bit I'll put it in a couple carboys.

This has to age 9 months to taste right, 12 to 15 is better.

Conventional wisdom is that you must let it go all the way to dry, then let it sit a bit, and then add potassium sorbate before backsweetening. I.e., there isn't a practical way for a home winemaker to stop an active fermentation, leaving some sugar behind.

My brother has been doing this, now that I finally got him to understand the hydrometer reads residual sugar and not actual alcohol content. His latest wine (a strawberry) is hitting 1.070 AFTER fermentation. :slp

I think he might start listening to me instead of relying on idiot directions.

Back