Wife wants the freezer empty

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertChartier

Reaction score
Wife is after me to clean up the freezer.

I'm hoping I have enough here to make at least a 3 gallon batch of wine.

This is what I have for flash frozen fruit.

Strawberry: 3 lbs, 14 oz
Blackberry: 14 Oz
Blueberry: 4 Lbs, 5 Oz
Bananas: 8 Lbs, 7 Oz (about 1/3 are with skins)

is this going to make something drinkable? or am I insane? (not that these are mutually exclusive)

Leaving out the bananas, looks like a great source for Dragon Blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I would do it all, at least it will look like a blush...you will get a lot of lees with the bananas, so make 4 gallons, and after racking to carboy, keep the rest to top off with...you may be suprised at how good it may be.

Have you guys ever tried it with bananas? I have and it's really good for adding softness and mouthfeel. In both my last 2 I used 2 - overripe and unpeeled bananas. Wasn't sure if I wanted the either astringency or extra tannins from the skins. I used 6 bananas same condition in my tropical daze and still good! This makes the wine very smooth - maybe too smooth lol

Have you guys ever tried it with bananas? I have and it's really good for adding softness and mouthfeel. In both my last 2 I used 2 - overripe and unpeeled bananas. Wasn't sure if I wanted the either astringency or extra tannins from the skins. I used 6 bananas same condition in my tropical daze and still good! This makes the wine very smooth - maybe too smooth lol

So the good stuff getting through the peels? Could you just use the peels and get the same result? What do you get if you use peeled bananas?

Thanx...

I am no expert I digress!! But I get a softer fuller and what seems like a less acidic taste to this dragon blood to what I imagine it's normal tartness taste is like. Mind you I'm not the hugest tartness fan. I also don't use all the lemon called for - just my own tastes. I've read that the peels add tannin and I think this also some astringency. After all they are bitter. Also on one of these threads I saw probably one of the DB threads - they add nutrients for the yeasties.

No problem Rodnboro! But forget my name if you happen to hate it lol if you've already done the original recipe and love it, this may be a bit different. That said, I assure you, you shouldn't taste actual banana, just "je ne c'est quoi" lol

I would use everything except 1/2 of the bananas and make it a Dragon's Blood variation.
Make a 3 or 4 gallon batch, I bet it will turn out fantastic.
If you have any grape juice concentrate, I'd probably bump it out to a full 6 gallon batch.

Think I would add a few more berries. See if you can find something on sale at the grocery and give it alittle more fruit. I have made a clean the freezer wine or two and they have disappeared quickly. Arne.

You can also do a google search for Ben Hardy's Christmas Tutti Frutti wine. Every year he cleans out his freezer around Christmastime and makes wine out of the leftover fruits. Every year is different and it's become a bit of a tradition in his family to drink a bottle made from the year before and then make wine for the following year.

I ended up adding it all into a bucket, adding water, and bringing the SG to 1.09. The yeast is munching away happily. I squeeze out the bag every day, and stir vigorously. It smells wonderful.

My wife asked me to do the same thing to the freezer about a week ago. We had frozen mangos so I decided to try the DB skeeter pee recipe but use the mango and cut down on the lemon juice. Let us know how yours turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

BLENDER DRINKS- straw BERRY margaritas. Save the bannanas to mix with OJ and make healthy smooothies. Or Bannana OJ and spiced rum tastes like an orange julias.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I ended up adding it all into a bucket, adding water, and bringing the SG to 1.09. The yeast is munching away happily. I squeeze out the bag every day, and stir vigorously. It smells wonderful.

I don't think you'll taste the bananas but they should give it a heavier body.

Let us know how it tastes periodically :b

Mixed freezer fruit wine. One of my favorite wines!!!! Bananas add mouthfeel, aid clarity, and smoth things out.
I am also in need of a freezer clean out. However all my carboys are full and not ready to be bottled yet!! Guess I will have to find an empty space to put a new one:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Well, I racked this morning due to a heavy layer of greyish sediment. I can only assume this is the bananas that pretty much dissolved in the mesh bag originally.

I smell wonderful, but tastes akin to rocket fuel at the moment. I'll rack again in about a month.

I will will have to pick up some additional fruit, mainly strawberries and blueberries for an F-Pack before I bottle it, but that probably won't be for another 2+ months.

Latest posts

Back