Why would my wine got cloudy ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSwiner

Reaction score
I rack my Trio Blanc Friday because I was going to filter it today so thought I'd give it time incase I did get a little sediment off the bottom time to drop down . Well there wasn't any amount to speak of but it went cloudy on me yesterday . I did leave it sitting on the floor ( I forgot to ask hubby to lift it for me ) but it's on the main floor and it didn't get really cold that night . I back sweetened it and had let it clear a little longer but it was fine until I racked it . The Raspberry white Zinfandel the same day is fine and it's sitting on the floor also . Any ideas of what I might have done wrong so I don't do it again .

Did you degas well? What clearing agent did you use?

Yes I degassed well with a drill mounted rod ,it was one of the easiest ones to degas so far .I used the clearing agent that came with the kit I didn't write down but says it's either chitosan or isinglass , but maybe someone else that did this kit can tell me for sure which one it was .Is this something I should write down in my notes for kits ? I haven't been because I just thought they put in what works best for that type of wine . It's been at room temp 68 - 70 .Anything else I can tell you that might help ?

Some where on this list I posted my Wine Makers Log. I write everything down. Same to kits too.
Let it go for now. Remember Time and Patience wil solve alot..

This seams to be a common theme I have been hearing. I degassed with the drill and also Vacuum pump. I have had a belt on it since the 02/26 and I still feel it is has not cleared as it should have. I will definitely be filtering this one. :a1

Mine was clearing a bit slower then hey said but I wasn't worried since I had sweetened & thought that made it take longer . I racked it the normal amount have times and did this extra one .

i hardly ever degas my wine. i usually give it a splash racking once in the end and it almost always gets the extra gas out. never hurts to let it sit again and possibly rack again, too!

Sounds like there was a little bit of sediment on the very bottom that must of gottenstirred up.

Well the next time I want to filter & bottle 2 wines the same day I will make sure to rack into other carboy a week ahead of time incase I have the same problem . Now I have to redo all those bottles .

Always keep the racking cane off the bottom until the last minute just so that you dont disturb the lees and have a gallon jug handy incase you do disturb the little bit left at the end to let that clear in the jug.

Always keep the racking cane off the bottom until the last minute just so that you dont disturb the lees and have a gallon jug handy incase you do disturb the little bit left at the end to let that clear in the jug.

yep, i stand there with the can the whole time. it's boring, but i'd rather keep as much lees out of the racking as possible. i don't filter, so i like to make sure i get as much sediment out as possible and hope it might allow for less rackings in the end.

I have the cane holder so it doesn't need to be held the whole time and I always keep it off the bottom .Like I said there might have been a tiny bit that came through but not enough IMO to make the whole cloud up the way it did . I'v had alot more then that come through when I first started making wine & it never got cloudy like that .I did add the clearing agent from other kit & its clear much better now .

Latest posts

Back