Why wont my white wine ferment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woog11

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making a white wine from bronze muscadines. The juice and ingredients are in the carboy and will not ferment, no action at all. This has been going on about a week." S.G.1.086","Pot Alc 11.5", "T.A.7.0", and hasnt changed at all. The wine is clearing up from no agitation, and sediments in the bottom.
I've repitched the yeast after getting it started in a cup with a little sugar, and still nothing. I would hate to let all this juice spoil on me. This is about 3 Gals. The water in the airlock actually has a little vacuum on it, no pressure.
I'm making 5 Gals of red muscadine wine right beside it and its working away. Maybe i should get a cup of the red juice and pour it in the white? Any help here would be wonderful. skip in ar...

As you stated you can pour some of the fermentating juice in with it. Or you could take a cup of the fermemtating juice and add that volume of the other juice. Once that's going strongly, continue this process until you've got 1/2gal or so and then add this mixture to the white muscadines.

I got home last nite, and couldnt take it anymore. Wine was clearing again and there was that ole cake, yeast,pulp, building in the bottom of the carboy, NO ACTION. I gave the red wine must a good stir and pulled out about 2 cupfuls of hulls and juice.
I didnt wanna get to much because i dont want to turn this wine red in color, but that would be alot better than throwing it out. Anyway it starting fermenting and by this morning it has pulled about 90% of the cake off of the bottom.
Its bubbling slow , but thats ok. As always, thanks so much for the reply.skip in ar...

Latest posts

Back