Why sulfate with every rack?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That I get, but I've been using a K-Meta solution for wine making...

Do you think 1/8 tsp (aprox 1 gram) of K-Meta will fine for racking 5 or 6 gallons and when it's finished use the 1/4 tsp?

My Pinot Grigio is in the secondary fermentor and it's bubbling the airlock, so I have some time to figure this out..

BTW, you guys have me worried about SO2 testing now. In the past, I always thought you didn't want sulfates in the wine, but based on what I'm hearing from you all, it's looking like it not only needs to be checked, but regulated too.

Thanks!

You’ve already gotten my advice, I’ll not respond again.

I doubt whether anyone here will tell you that an additional 1/8t is the right amount of KMS for racking. I think most of us understand that one racking is sort of built into that standard 1/4t per 6g per 3 months recommendation. If you are racking much more often than that, you’re best off checking levels.
In theory you should be able to figure this out. Measure SO2 levels before and after racking. The drop should reflect oxygen uptake and SO2 consumption. I’ve never heard of anyone doing this and I can’t speak to technique (ie, how long to reach steady state after racking). Even if someone did this the results may not be generalizable; they are likely very highly technique dependent, and would vary by racking technique (vacuum vs standard) how much splashing, falling film, container size, etc.

I doubt whether anyone here will tell you that an additional 1/8t is the right amount of KMS for racking. I think most of us understand that one racking is sort of built into that standard 1/4t per 6g per 3 months recommendation. If you are racking much more often than that, you’re best off checking levels.
In theory you should be able to figure this out. Measure SO2 levels before and after racking. The drop should reflect oxygen uptake and SO2 consumption. I’ve never heard of anyone doing this and I can’t speak to technique (ie, how long to reach steady state after racking). Even if someone did this the results may not be generalizable; they are likely very highly technique dependent, and would vary by racking technique (vacuum vs standard) how much splashing, falling film, container size, etc.

Sorry for so many questions.. but I've just started and once racked once. And when I did it, I didn't add any KMeta. At that time, I figured there was probably enough sulfate from the K-Meta sanitizer and I really didn't know what the sulfate did. Plus when I started my SP, it stunk of rubber, which seems to have been sulfur.. making me think any type of sulfur was bad.

I guess the next thing to do is just add 1/4 tsp of K-meta with my next racking, once the secondary fermentation is finished ... and not worry about it, unless I go over 3 months.

BTW, I never would have even thought about SO2 with the way one racks. Off my head, I guess vacuuming racking would remove more of it than standard gravity racking.

Thanks!

BTW, you guys have me worried about SO2 testing now. In the past, I always thought you didn't want sulfates in the wine, but based on what I'm hearing from you all, it's looking like it not only needs to be checked, but regulated too!
On a practical side we try to keep it low enough so it is not tasted in the wine, this is the impression that there isn’t any. You don’t have to check it and I wouldn’t waste chemicals on a one gallon jug.
My quality improved when I said there isn’t any left therefore add 25 ppm every time I rack, , and don’t open the carboy unless racking. Opening exposes wine to oxygen, this is your enemy

Do you add the K-Meta with the final racking just before bottling? Is 3 month rule more important factor? Or is testing a must at this time. I don't want to over sulfide but definable don't want anything to spoil in the bottle. So would appreciate any advise.

Looked at my Camden Tablets today, 100 tablets total weight 56.67 grams. That’s what is on the package. That makes them 0.57 grams per tablet.
But the tablets, from what I understand, has a good bit of filler included in them...I guess to help glue the tablets together. Excluding the filler material the actual K-meta would be less than .57 grams each.

For white wines, look into getting Titrets. Can get a pack of 10 tests for under $20.
They do technically work with red wines too, but since they operate by viewing a colour change, it's very hard to see with a red wine.
These will give you your approximate SO2 level, so you know if you need to add more or not.

Agree that the tablets have some filler and that reduces the actual K-Meta in the tablet. Just thought I would pass on that not all Camden tablets are 1.4 to1.6 grams. Better to check.

You don't need to sulfate at ever racking. That is simply a recipe. If you can measure your sulfur levels you should only add when you need to. Or when you want to -- because wine does not really need added sulfate. That is simply a modern addition to wine making to make a modern wine. If you want to make an amber wine, for example, you do not sulfate. What I am saying is, making wine is a personal journey. You can make it however you wish. Adding sulfate will indeed help you make a good wine you may enjoy, and recipes are fine for that. But if you want to test your wine to know what is best for the wine, or just let it go natural is completely up to you.

You don't need to sulfate at ever racking. That is simply a recipe. If you can measure your sulfur levels you should only add when you need to. Or when you want to -- because wine does not really need added sulfate. That is simply a modern addition to wine making to make a modern wine. If you want to make an amber wine, for example, you do not sulfate. What I am saying is, making wine is a personal journey. You can make it however you wish. Adding sulfate will indeed help you make a good wine you may enjoy, and recipes are fine for that. But if you want to test your wine to know what is best for the wine, or just let it go natural is completely up to you.

Based on my very limited knowledge, I wasn't sure what the proper dosage was. It seems everyone was doing something different, but they were all adding sulfate. And since I hadn't added any Sulfate, other than at the beginning to kill off any natural yeast or bugs, I was a bit scared my wine was going to go bad.

Bottom line for me, at least until I can get a tester, in general, I'm going to either add .75-1 gram (I don't really know how accurate my gram scale is) of P-Meta a month for 5 or 6 gallon batches then when it's finished, I'll go with 1/4 tsp before bottling. For Reds, I'll go with 1/4 tsp every 3 months.

First, they are not sulfates. We use metabisulfite to protect the wine because it is in equilibrium with SO2 in solution (pH dependent).

Rinsing does not leave enough sulfite to protect the wine from microbial damage and oxidation.

For those who do not measure SO2 levels, I have found the following schedule to provide great protection for the wine with no sulfite tastes.

When I dose, I use the general ratio of 0.4 grams of potassium metabisuflte per gallon. This is approximately equivalent to 1 campden tablet per gallon or about 50 ppm.

After primary fermentation, rack off gross lees and DO NOT sulfite.
Once fermentation is fully complete, rack within a couple of weeks and add 0.4 grams per gallon.
Follow your normal racking schedule and dose with 0.4 g/gal of metabisulfte at every OTHER racking.
Dose with 0.4 g/gal of metabisulfte at final racking/filtering etc. at bottling time regardless of whether or not the prior racking had a dose.

This has never failed me.

Thank you all for you helpful information!! There is so much out there that is contradicting and lacking practical details that leaves a newbie head spinning round.

I’m really not sure where all of these 1/8 and 1/16 tsp per racking are coming from, but let’s set the record straight.

Sulfite levels should be maintained to protect wine from both oxidation and organic invaders. The minimum sulfite levels are a function of the pH and color of the wine, the lower the pH, the less sulfite it takes, and visa versa. White wine needs more sulfite than red.

Sulfite gets “used up” in wine as it scavenges oxygen and protects your wine, some becomes “bound” and some gets used up, it’s why we have to maintain sulfite levels, and how fast it gets used is based on the wine itself and how you handle it.

Properly administered sulfite protocol says that sulfite levels should be checked on a regular basis, and adjusted as needed to maintain adequate levels of protection. Not everyone is willing to invest the money and time to do this testing.

This is where the “rule of thumb” has been applied, which is to use 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite, per 6 gallons of wine, every three months. This doesn’t work for wines in barrels, which may require more frequent application. One doesn’t need to add sulfite at every racking, every three months is fine unless you expose your wine to excessive amounts of oxygen.

If you want to maintain your sulfite levels as low as possible, invest the time and money into the testing equipment, and you’re off to the races. I wouldn’t advise that anyone summarily cut their dosage from 1/4 tsp / 6 gallons / 3 months down to 1/16 tsp without testing. Just my opinion.
What’s the best way to test your SO2? Is there an inexpensive way? I’m fermenting right now, may I balance my SO2 immediately after its complete?

Latest posts

Back