Why raisins?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kboroff

Junior
Reaction score
We are getting some fresh fruit together to make a coulple batches. I have checked the internet for recipies. Many out there include raisins. Others are about the same but do not have raisins. Why add raisins?

Good nucleation point for yeast and they add body to the wine.

it means it's a good spot for yeasts to get together and puff up the raisin really good.

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

250px-Nucleation_finger.jpg

"Nucleation of carbon dioxide bubbles around a finger"

Same theory? I'm trying to understand it as well, but wouldnt you replace the finger with a raisin and the CO2 with yeast?

They help to add "body" to wine. I recently bought a bag of raisins at GFS to check them out. Only raisins and no preservatives. I will be adding raisins to my musts this Sept. batch.

Absolutely Rock! Keep that in mind.

Also raisins as we know them, tend to be heavily sulfited. keep that in mind as well.

There are mant references in here about raisins.

The best way to treat them is to take the amount desired, pour boiling water over them and allow them to sit overnight.

Next day, drain off the water, and rinse them off in clean water and go on.

There may be those who may disagree but as a general rule, I learned that from this forum.

Scroll to the bottom of this thread and look at some of the related posts that talk about raisins.

Also, if yu are going to use raisins, put them into a frment bag. Either a nylon stocking or even a paint straining bag. Sterilized of coourse.

If you decide to use a nylon stocking, it has been said for best results, to choose one that matches your eye color!

I personally don't belive it to be true, all I said is that it "has been said"!" LMAO!

Last edited:
quick question sid,
wont letting the raisins sit overnight in boiling water remove the sugar as well? im just guessing that it will.

The reason I'll use raisins is because it's a cheap and easy way of incorporating the solids in a grape into my wine. If I'm making a kit or other wine that is just juice and does not have any actual grapes or skins, I'll use raisins to get those solids and tannins. Granted I'm getting a bit of raisin flavor as well, but if I want to get a wine that has the potential for longer aging and more complexity it's going to have to have some of those solids from the pulp and tannins in the skins found in grapes (or raisins in this case).

Raisins contain about 50% sugar. So keep that in mind and adjust the recipe accordingly to the volume of raisins you are adding.

Next remember that raisins are dried grapes. Adding a lot of raisins will alter the flavor of the wine. So stick to the volume the recipe prescribes or the wine will taste different as was intended.

Raisins are also oxidised, so when using too much they will give an oxidised flavor to a wine. Please stick to what the recipe prescribes.

Indeed like Troy said, raisins are sulphited.
You can read how to treat them and other details here:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2007/11/rozijnen-raisins.html

Also beware that raisins add nutrients to the wien which is a good thing.

Last but not least:
Dark raisins will add colour to the wine. So use light raisins in white and blush wines, use dark raisins in red wine.

Hope this helps.

Luc

Latest posts

Back