Why raisins and currants??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traveler94

Reaction score
So I have been reading all about people adding raisins and currants and five days ago I ran downstairs and added a cup of raisins to an inexpensive kit I have fermenting. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and thought, why? What is the expected results of adding raisins? What about currants? Is it body, flavor, increased alcohol? And what about the cherries?

Last edited:
I think it just adds another flavor note. A raisin is just a dried grape...a currant tastes sweeter to me...and I really like adding dried cherries. I can never really tell "hey that tastes like raisins or cherries" but it does add something to mix.

I've used dried cherries, raisins, black currant, plums etal. (not at the same time) in various wines which naturally exhibit those notes. I put them in after stabilization in the secondary much the same as you would do with oak. Typically let them go for a month or so. Have had enhanced mouthfeel, flavor, finishes. It's experimentation but have never had any throw-away. Use your imagination and work with small batches till you find what you like. Most importantly ,,, keep notes!

I've done raisins and bananas with a few kits. To me kinda like Native American tack art on rifle stocks. Personalizes the end product.
smilie.gif

When making mead, raisins are helpful as a yeast nutrient. I think anyway. I'm sure it also help with body and adds to the flavor.

I'm trying to figure this kit too.

I like to approach it from a scientific standpoint as well as an artistic one. Sort of like cooking.

Sometimes we often throw out the rules in fits of inspiration and sometimes we study and follow so-called rules in hopes of gaining understanding.

Along the way we enjoy breaking down our barriers and staying on the cusp of discovery.

Cheers!
-jb

I'm trying to figure this kit too.

I like to approach it from a scientific standpoint as well as an artistic one. Sort of like cooking.

Sometimes we often throw out the rules in fits of inspiration and sometimes we study and follow so-called rules in hopes of gaining understanding.

Along the way we enjoy breaking down our barriers and staying on the cusp of discovery.

Cheers!
-jb

Well this certainly makes it very clear!!!! Now I need a drink to figure out how to make a drink!!

I've used dried cherries, raisins, black currant, plums etal. (not at the same time) in various wines which naturally exhibit those notes. I put them in after stabilization in the secondary much the same as you would do with oak. Typically let them go for a month or so. Have had enhanced mouthfeel, flavor, finishes. It's experimentation but have never had any throw-away. Use your imagination and work with small batches till you find what you like. Most importantly ,,, keep notes!

Do you use sorbate? I never use the sorbate but I don't think it matters as I usually bulk age for six to nine months.
When you say "Typically let them go for a month or so" is that how long do you leave the "additions" in the secondary and then rack?

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51904

traveler...more reading...lonnnng thread....take notes...lots of great stuff in here

Well Mismost I did read it, and Joeswine is a very very creative person and he is successful in encouraging other winemakers to do the same. Which is why I put raisins in a Merlot I have, which might have been a mistake because someone said don't put raisins in a Merlot. I have a tendency to over question things. Such as I put raisins in my Merlot and what is it going to do? Add to the taste, change the taste? I like oatmeal raisin cookies but will I like merlot raisin wine? I know what your thinking, try it. So, I just put fresh blackberries in another Merlot I just started.
Thanks

Do you use sorbate? I never use the sorbate but I don't think it matters as I usually bulk age for six to nine months.
When you say "Typically let them go for a month or so" is that how long do you leave the "additions" in the secondary and then rack?

Yes on the Sorbate. Putting anything that has any kind of sugar in the wine without having stabilized it is inviting unwanted fermentation. I use these " additions" primarily for flavor or mouthfeel enhancement. A month in there is sufficient time to extract what I want. Aging for a year after that really does work wonders! Now if you're not going to be adding anything that contains sugars, there's really no need for a Sorbate treatment.

Latest posts

Back