Why is my Pinot Sulphery Smelling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocktop

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, crushed sunday, pulled a batch of juice for rose. Put half the skins back to ferment.
Ferment has been going well however I am picking a sulphur smell from both the red on skins and from the rose.

I so2 the must, settled fro 24 hours.
Bloomed yeast with go ferm, added Ferm K, half at beginning and half at 1/3 brix drop.

What should i consider?

Thanks,

RT

Hi all, crushed sunday, pulled a batch of juice for rose. Put half the skins back to ferment.
Ferment has been going well however I am picking a sulphur smell from both the red on skins and from the rose.

I so2 the must, settled fro 24 hours.
Bloomed yeast with go ferm, added Ferm K, half at beginning and half at 1/3 brix drop.

What should i consider?

Thanks,

RT
Sounds like you're following a solid procedure. How much fermaid k did you add to what volumes? What was your initial brix? What yeast did you use? Some (RC212) are very nutrient hungry and will produce H2S if nitrogen is low.

Scott labs recommends total dose of 0.25g/L, plus or minus other factors. But this may be low of your incoming amino acids are low.

What is your current SG? What temps did the fermentation hit?

Also, what do you mean by "sulfury"? Do you mean rotten egg/dog fart (which is H2S), or do you mean burnt match (which is SO2). I assume you mean the former, and @jgmillr1 's comments are spot on.

Hi all, definitely rotten egg with a little dog fart mixed in.
So 216 lbs pinot noir
31 grams BM4x4
29 grams go ferm
24 total grams Ferm K

haven't been able to monitor must temp but able to keep ambient at 70-71 degrees. 3 x per day punch/mix

Update, so just before posting i added some more ferm k and stirred vigorously. Just went out to check and stir/punch again and smelled much better.

My bigger concern now is the rose which is also exhibiting sulphur odours. different yeast, much cooler temps....

So just to close off the thread. Reduced temperature and had added more Ferm k, smell got much better and pressed today with no issues .

rose I splash racked and I think it will be ok. Tasted good.

Thank you all.

Latest posts

Back