Why is EC-1118 so foamy for me?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYer

Reaction score
Every single yeast reference I've seen says this yeast is "low" or even "extremely low" foaming, yet the 3 times I have used it, it has produced quite a lot of foam. Last year, I used it for a batch of DB and gallon of cider. The DB had at least 1.5-2 inches of foam, and the cider overflowed the jug it was in two days in a row. I just pitched it last night into a bucket of Island Mist (Peach Apricot Chardonnay), and today it has a pretty thick (in the bucket it's hard to tell exactly how high) layer of dense-looking foam, almost like a beer krausen. I didn't rehydrate last night, just sprinkled the dry yeast on top of the must, per the kit instructions.

Is this as out-of-character as the yeast references make it sound, or is EC-1118 actually a moderate foamer in many applications? What has your experience been with it? I'm curious about why my experience with it is so contrary to how it is "supposed" to behave.

Every single yeast reference I've seen says this yeast is "low" or even "extremely low" foaming, yet the 3 times I have used it, it has produced quite a lot of foam. Last year, I used it for a batch of DB and gallon of cider. The DB had at least 1.5-2 inches of foam, and the cider overflowed the jug it was in two days in a row. I just pitched it last night into a bucket of Island Mist (Peach Apricot Chardonnay), and today it has a pretty thick (in the bucket it's hard to tell exactly how high) layer of dense-looking foam, almost like a beer krausen. I didn't rehydrate last night, just sprinkled the dry yeast on top of the must, per the kit instructions.

Is this as out-of-character as the yeast references make it sound, or is EC-1118 actually a moderate foamer in many applications? What has your experience been with it? I'm curious about why my experience with it is so contrary to how it is "supposed" to behave.

Haven't used it in many years, but did so on the vast majority of my first kits, at least 10 - 15 of them, never had any issues with foaming.......

Here's a photo of what it looks like now on the Island Mist kit, less than 24 hours after putting it together. I can't see the surface of the must at all, and this looks to be at least a half inch, maybe 1 inch thick. Not what I would call low foaming... EC1118 Island Mist.jpg

A good sign that you have vigorous fermentation going! I find the consistency of the foam really depends on what is being fermented and not the yeast.

A good sign that you have vigorous fermentation going! I find the consistency of the foam really depends on what is being fermented and not the yeast.
Yeah, I'm not concerned that it's not a good fermentation. Just wondering why it doesn't behave as described. Maybe my definition of "extremely low foaming" needs revision... :)

Of all the times I have used 1118 it only once gave a foam problem, this was on a rhurbarb which was racked to the secondary at 1.015 or 1.020 when in active fermentation. It was my fault pushing too fast.
Relative to some beer yeast 1118 seems to be a clean fermentor.

The next morning the foam was totally gone, presumably sunk to the bottom. All I could see was the must with CO2 and yeast dancing in it, causing surface currents. Kind of mesmerizing to watch. LOL

EC 1118 has been in every Winexpert kit I've made. It has always been very low foam except for one case recently when I made a VR Chardonnay. It was very foamy during fermentation and when I degassed I had a foamnado for the first time. Never saw so much foam!!!

EC 1118 has been in every Winexpert kit I've made. It has always been very low foam except for one case recently when I made a VR Chardonnay. It was very foamy during fermentation and when I degassed I had a foamnado for the first time. Never saw so much foam!!!

Thanks for the foamnado warning. This is a chardonnay (Island Mist kit), so maybe it does this with that grape variety. I'll be careful during degassing for sure!

Latest posts

Back