Why does cap form?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPBart

Reaction score
Just some post-turkey musing...

I've got my last batch of 2009 muscadines (~100 lbs grapes) in primary now. Prior to pitching yeast, the grape skins were just floating around in solution. Once the yeast took hold, a really serious cap formed that I'm punching down 2-3 times a day. Why does the cap form? Does the yeast activity somehow cause the skins to suddenly float to the top?

Gotta go get another glass of this '08 muscadine -- pretty good stuff...

Happy holidays to all!

yeast produces gas and the gas sits under any large detritus, pushes it up... that's why your skins are at the top.

Allie

To avoid having to punch down put skins and pulp in a 5gal paint straining bag and keep a weight on top to keep it submerged. No more punching down or stirring necessary.
How big a batch are you making, a hundred pounds goes a long way.

To avoid having to punch down put skins and pulp in a 5gal paint straining bag and keep a weight on top to keep it submerged. No more punching down or stirring necessary.
How big a batch are you making, a hundred pounds goes a long way.

With the recipe we use (based on Jack Kellar's version), we expect to net 15-17 gallons of finished wine from 100-lb of muscadines. A 100-lb batch is the max I can handle at once.

Latest posts

Back