Why do you make wine at home?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do you make wine at home?

• So I know what is going into the food I’m consuming

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Cost; I can make a better wine for less cost than I can buy

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Hobby; don’t care if I could buy a better wine for what it cost me to make

Votes: 55 67.9%
  • Something to do, no expectation.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.2%

• Total voters
B, C and E. Four kids and limited income lead to "B". Hobby and the science part (same as @cmason1957) for "C" (related to the cooking/beer brewing interests I have). "E" - other - don't have to drive the car inebriated if you finish the bottle, nearly limitless supply in the basement. Another "E" - other, when you make a wine that someone really enjoys, then you tell them you actually made it (I usually lie up front and say a "friend" made it) it's a pretty good feeling. When they tell you they don't like it, just never tell them you actually made it (I'm so vain, I'm thinking a song here).

I just think it is so much fun. I love wine, and making it myself gives me so much pride. Also cheaper than buying and I love having a full wall of wine aging.

I am motivated by the hobby/DIY aspect. Years ago, during the first homebrew revolution, I was a brewer. I got really good at it, but life, family, and career overwhelmed it.

In the 25 years since, I've developed a taste for wine vs beer, and have harbored a secret desire to make wine. So when a couple of home winemakers at work asked me to join the fun, I was all in. 2016 was a disaster for a number of reason (including being in Hawaii during primary fermentation) , but 2017, and 2018 have been fun. I'm optimistic that going forward, the wine gets better every year. This was my experience in brewing.

I do like the science part, and I was a chemist in a former life. My goal between now and the next harvest 11 months from now, is to improve my testing procedures. I hope to be measuring SO2 and TA by next fall, as well as making decent, drinkable wine. I'll be leaning on everyone here.

I voted "other", because I simply love wine. And am a DIYer. So when I love something, I like to go hands on.

Oh... And maybe making some money in the process.... The entrepreneur me there. :h

When I first started I had no idea what I was getting myself into. It just seemed like an interesting thing to try. Even before I bottled and had a chance to drink my first wine I was hooked. Joined the forum and did online resesarch. The fact that when beginning and reading sometimes opposite approaches just made me want to dig deeper into it. But my bottom line answer is "it's just plain ole fun". Plus, you get to refresh your biology, chemistry and math skills, have a reason to buy toys and if it's your thing tons of DIY projects. I've only made a couple wines I think turned out pretty well but have several in the pipeline I feel good about. If some of them turn out the way I hope the fun will increase 10 fold.

Is there a survey associated with this post? Can't see it.

I started making wine for two reasons - romanticized notions of being a winemaker; and, total distain for the state-run liquor monopoly in PA.
There is, I see it at the top of the thread. Hobby is in the lead.

@NorCal, good thread, you said you know what motivates you but are you going to tell us or should we start guessing. LOL!

To me, it is a hobby. I enjoy creating something that is both scientific and artistic, that can be shared with others. However, if I could buy a better wine than what it costs me to make (not including my time), I would move on to another hobby.

To me, it is a hobby. I enjoy creating something that is both scientific and artistic, that can be shared with others. However, if I could buy a better wine than what it costs me to make (not including my time), I would move on to another hobby.

For me putting a cost on it is a little difficult especially when starting due to the purchase of the equipment. Plus my palate is really not there in judging the quality of a wine so it's hard for me to compare costs. I'm glad you excluding time in your equation. I remember other threads discussing the cost of making wine where time was debated.

For me, there are numerous reasons. It’s the enjoyment of doing something well that is difficult, complex, and challenging to multiple parts of my being (like patience!!!). I love to learn about and improve at new things. It’s also awesome to have all of the tools and toys that go along with winemaking. I really like that something that I’ve guided through the natural process and nurtured for years, can be shared and enjoyed with others, and in a simple bottle, with a cork, and is captured and preserved for years or decades. There’s also a certain mystique with winemaking that others find interesting and intriguing and seem to like to ask questions and talk about, and those conversations are enjoyable.

There’s also a certain mystique with winemaking that others find interesting and intriguing and seem to like to ask questions and talk about, and those conversations are enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the comradery even though rarely face to face is very enjoyable. This is the only forum I have ever been involved in and is mostly quite civil. No experience but I've heard horror stories about others.

I make my own wine because I want particular types of wine not blends - example good luck finding real blueberry, peach, apple, black currant.

The vast majority are blends of other juices with 'some' other juices and more often than not those other juices are the dominant item in those wines.
Personally I'll just go buy a Riesling, Zin other other grape wines but Fruit wines - good luck in that hunt.

Latest posts

Back