Why do we use SG and not Brix?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sugar meter?? I love it. I hopped in my DeLorean set to 2035 and gunned it to 88mph. I accidentally sent that post from the future.
Until then I'm still using Brix for ripeness and SG for AF like a bum.

ummm....I have a feeling this is bogus, 1. The time stamp on the post isn't from the future. 2. The Internet in 2035 isn't backwards compatible. 3. He would have brought back several of his aged wines to brag how good they were.

My sugar meter?? I love it. I hopped in my DeLorean set to 2035 and gunned it to 88mph. I accidentally sent that post from the future.
Until then I'm still using Brix for ripeness and SG for AF like a bum.

Next time you're there, can you grab a flux capacitor for me? Mine's on the fritz.

Butterfly effect dude. I had to leave it behind (ahead?) But I've already said too much. (Sidenote: the nationals still haven't won a pennant)

Actually I had a few opened bottles half full that needed to be consumed before they went bad. I didn't intend to finish all 3 but it happened. The byproduct of MNF and the house to myself last night.

And this was an extremely interesting conversation going on before I spilled a drink all over it. I'm compelled to steer back on track.
For the record gentile and Johnd, you hit the nail on the head for me earlier. I didn't even use a hydrometer on my juice pails for years. And wasn't until I tried my 1st kit that I did. Instructions went by specific gravity. So my 1st exposure was SG as well as the majority of hyrometer reading references on WMT. I've had this "why not Brix" conversation many times. It always comes down to if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm comfortable with SG. I like the 3 decimal points. Feels more "specific". <-- get it? Though I find myself using Brix more often
So I fall in the same category as others just as BoatBoy Jim said. Brix for ripeness and SG for fermentation.--- At least until the $12 sugar is invented that is.

Latest posts

Back