WHY did you start making Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hobby's keep me sane...

My Dad used to make wine from the vines growing in our back yard when I was young...I always thought that was cool. I don't know what kind of grapes they were, but it planted the seed.

After doing some research, and realizing that kits were available, I decided to give it a try. I was hooked after my first Merlot kit (I only have 6 bottles left). It's funny, I work for a beer distributor, and I really have no desire to make beer. I just like making wine.

Hopefully someday I will graduate to pressing grapes, but for now, the kits are very satisfying.

Peace,
Bob

Why? Because it's there...and I can!
After vacillating for 2 years about making cider from our 2 apple trees, our Italian Plum tree hemorrhaged about 25 gallons of plums! I was on another site where a guy talked about how easy it was to make wine. I took some of the plums and followed his instructions. Oh, brother....
Then I found this site to try to figure out what went wrong. My wife nagged me until I went out to the barn and dug out the box of wine making stuff her late brother had left us. Bonanza! That box contained everything I needed, except knowledge...and the folks here have filled that void. :h
So...my (2nd) attempt at plum wine is superb, and is just waiting for the Holidays. (Instant gratification isn't fast enough for me, and I'm not going to be able to wait a year to drink it!) My cider is in its secondary, and clearing nicely.
I don't know if I'm hooked, but I'm already thinking about dandelion wine in the Spring, since SWMBO is more than curious about it. She's even talking about investing in an apple press. <sigh>
She's also been making noises about starting an apiary. I guess then I could make my own mead. :)

I have two uncles that have made wine for years and my wife and I had discussed looking into making wine for a couple years. Then my brother got a wine making kit just over two years ago and told us how inexpensive it was to get started. We went out and got our starter kit and it's been downhill from there :dg and we've enjoyed every minute of it! We're going on year two and I think we just racked our 14th or 15th batch of wine :d :db

This is a great thread you started Tom! Sounds like the next one will be on dealing with a hobby tjat has now become an obsession for all of us, on second thought, scrap that idea. BREW ON!!! LOL

Troy

We'd made a small batch of beer just for fun. It turned out pretty good so I researched buying some better equipment. While I poked around the brew shop I stumbled across wine kits.

We can make wine? But, we LOVE wine. Not really big beer drinkers.

We enjoy the process, the labeling and ultimately the consumption and sharing of our wines with friends and family.

I started making beer because I was tired of paying $30-$50 for a case of good stuff...which led me into making wine. I just wish it were legal to make whiskey :)

I got interested in wine in '02. Started making kits shortly there after. Next thing I know I'm growing grapes in my garden (up to around 50 vines now). I've gotten hooked on this hobby so bad that my wife and I now own land in the new Haw River AVA in N.C. we can't wait to retire to so we can grow alot of grapes. I'm also a regional official in the Il. grape growers and vinters assoc. And am taking college classes on grape growing. So don't look to me to talk any of you folks out of this obsession(hobby). Hell I'll just tell you to keep up the good work and go out and taste and buy local crafted wines too!

I paint better when I'm drinking.

Plus 16 years ago I planted an orchard when the kids were young.. thinking that it would be a good contribution to the household when they were grown.. teenagers eat a lot.

Now the teenagers eat junk food and the apples were literally being fed out to the cattle. I thought what about cider and apple wine instead of wasting them?

So here I am..

Allie

I planted a peach tree in the backyard that gave us too many peaches. So I googled peach brandy. Found a recipe that made some pretty good tasting stuff and it got you pretty messed up but boy did it ever give you a headache. I called it Bryans bucket juice. So I took a winemaking class at Baders beer and wine supply... that was 2 years ago. I'm taking the beginner beer making class Jan. 6th.

My husband started making his own beer. Since I am a wine drinker and not a beer drinker he kept telling me to make wine from the concord grapes we have growing in the back yard. I was not making jelly any more because my kids were no longer kids. So we made wine and then my son was getting married and asked if we would make wine for his wedding. We did that and it hasn't stopped since. This has been about a year and a half. It is amazing how much free fruit you get when people find out you make wine.

Julie

I love drinking wine. So when my fiance started talking about making his own beer. I thought "Hey! I can make my own wine!"

So now I am into my first kit and hopefully going to get it bottled before Christmas!
I got another kit for an early Christmas present and I have one of the Limited edition kits on order (Brunello).

So in my one bedroom I am going to be knee deep in beer and wine very very soon!!!

-Courtney

My wife likes to cook. No, she loves to cook. It's her hobby/obsession. She has a zillion cookbooks and it seems like she watches every show produced on the food network.

Being more into science than food, I found the only cooking show I enjoyed watching with her was Good Eats. So one day we're watching an episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown (host of the show) is making beer! I'm watching this and say to my wife (girlfriend at the time), "Hey, I'm pretty sure I can do that without blowing up your kitchen!" She likes the idea that I have a food hobby that doesn't intrude on her cooking every meal, so she buys me a homebrewing kit from a local shop for my birthday. It all went downhill from there.

Once I made a bunch of extract beer batches and moved on to all-grain, I figured I wanted to try other fermented beverages. I made ciders first... pretty easy to make a good hard apple cider from juice. Then, I bought a bunch of honey and started making meads.

We enjoy taking spend 2 or 3 weekends a year in Paso Robles wine country, driving from winery to winery trying and buying wines. The wine kits were the last foray into the hobby because both my wife and I were skeptical that we'd get anything out of a bag of grape juice that could compare with a well-crafted bottle of wine. It's easy to make beer better than Budweiser, especially when you can source the same (or better) ingredients... but it seemed like wine required fruit from proper growing conditions, barrel aging, etc... Despite our reservations, it seemed like a cheap experiment to make a batch and see. Also, I was just too curious to avoid it. LOL

So we started with a cheap white for my wife to use as cooking wine. At worst, we lose $60... at best, she gets 30 bottles of cooking wine for $2/bottle instead of $5 at the store. Well, it turned out that first cheap kit made cooking wine comparable to what she bought. So, I made a couple upscale white kits next. After a few months of aging, they turned out to be pretty good wines and I think they are every bit as good as most of the whites I'd buy for quite a bit more.

After that, I bought a chocolate raspberry port kit. I totally mangled that kit when my wife tried to help. She insisted on downloading the "newest instructions" from the website in case they changed. What neither of us noticed in time was that she downloaded instructions for a normal 6 gallon wine kit. So I'm starting to add water when I realize the port is only supposed to be 3 gallons and there already seems to be about that much juice in the pale. I stop, but I've already added about a gallon. I tried to fix it with some sugar and such. It ended up too sweet, but I fortified it with some brandy to counter that a bit and called it a day. Anyway... despite my horrid botching of the kit, the port still turned out pretty good. Other people tried it when they came over and enjoyed it. I wound up giving it away to friends because they asked for it. LOL

I'm not a big white drinker. Big meaty reds are my thing. So, I've made an Outback Shiraz that is aging now. I can't wait to try it. I have another kit I bought at the same time that I need to get going. The jury is still out on those, but if they turn out like the port I'll probably be pretty happy.

After my current kits are finished (among other mead/cider/beer batches on the horizon), I want to try making a wine from fruit.

Last edited:
Sweet tapdancing jesus... I didn't realize how long my post was getting when I was typing it. Sorry for the book. LOL

Well, I got the werm farm up and running, the riding lawn mower will now do zero to 50 in 4.2 seconds, the homemade $11.00 ea. storm windows are up in place of the store bought $200.00 ea. ones, my bike has WAY more chrome than any Sports/Tourer was EVER supposed to have, my dawgs both get better haircuts from me than they did from the $35.00 a visit groomer's, my solar oven in boring now that it's working and all you do is put your food in it and leave it to be ready at supper time, the six bin scrounged computers are now two working networked computers, my eyes get tired after only a bit of quilting, my garden only grows *something* twelve months out of the year, and oh, yeah... the beer kits haven't arrived yet! lol

I started making beer because I was tired of paying $30-$50 for a case of good stuff...which led me into making wine. I just wish it were legal to make whiskey :)

Pssst... hey, Ziggy... you did know that if you own more than five acres, you can get a permit from the BATFE to produce ethanol alcohol in your own still for use in your farm equipment as fuel, don't you? All you have to have is a building for the still that is located away from any other main structure.

Now, my question is if you own more than five acres, and no tractor, but hand plow your plot, are YOU then considered a piece of "farm equipment"?

Nah, prolly not. Dangit.

Latest posts

Back