Why aren't there grape or flowers on my vines ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read through this entire thread. I don't know why your shoots didn't produce fruit clusters this year. Did you get hit with a late frost? Were the shoots growing from one year old wood? Primary buds growing from 1 year old wood should produce fruit. My guess is that your growth is from secondary and tertiary buds, or perhaps base buds, resulting from either a late frost or winter kill.

With respect to the pruning and leaf pulling that you did in your last pics, my advice is to to never do that again. Vines are not going to produce fruit clusters in response to that kind of summer pruning. They are going to produce lateral shoots and more vegetation. Laterals emanating from green shoots do not fruit.

Summer pruning of healthy vegetation normally falls into one of these groups
  • water sprout and sucker removal
  • shooting thinning because you have too many shoots trying to produce fruit
  • cluster thinning
  • leaf pulling to get clusters into the sun
  • hedging the tops of shoots on a VSP because they have outgrown the trellis
  • skirting shoots from TWC or GDC that are hitting the ground
H

Last edited:
What type of fertilizer and disease protection should I consider for these small batch of Foche vines ?

Thank you.. the Winter was mild as I had overgrown the vines without pruning fi the last 2 years/ I will leave it alone rest of year as the plants still look healthily and creeping up my trellis very aggressively. I'm very confused on what could be the issue. 1561928499673.jpeg

Back