Why aren't there grape or flowers on my vines ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello.. check out attached picks as I just pruned the vines.. hoping to product some grapes this year

To be honest, the vines still look too young for a good crop of grapes. If they were mine, I'd pinch off any inflorescence (baby grape clusters) I find this year and focus and a good root system and a nice truck. Here's a shot of vines I planted last year. Of course these are Top Wire Cordon trained vines and I'll continue to train them this year. These I may let bear a few grapes this year, but I'm still focused on roots and structure at this point. Next year, if all goes well this year, I'll focus on grapes production on these.

IMG_7178.jpg

From the texts I have read, year 3 is the first year to consider leaving grapes clusters on the vines. I have heard some vineyards wait till year 4. Let’s the vine concentrate on building root structures and vigour.

I will throw a caveat regarding no fruit second year. Regarding Northern Hybrids, they have little in common with Vinifera. Depending on the variety, soil and climate, you may well desire to let the vines fruit the second year to avoid extreme vigor.

See attached.. my 3rd year replanted Foche vines/ question- should I have fruit on vines already as my Neighbor Vintner has may early bunches on his calistoga grape vines.

Check out my 3rd year transplantes Foche Vines / should I have clusters on vines as my neighbor Vintner has many clusters on his calistoga grapes. 1560025299633.jpeg1560025281463.jpeg1560025235578.jpeg

I have some Verona that I was a little late with growth getting to my top wire. The cordons were apparently to small, too immature, not enough hours on sun last year. So, I have lots of growth, but zero fruit clusters. Everything is getting everything established ,and next year, I should have full production. I don't want to be critical, but it almost seems like you have no trellis, and haven't established cordons.

Thank you I am trying to establish a strong root system and have vines Climb without structure. Do you think a more formal trellis will increase the production of clusters ?

You should study trellising concepts. You either need to go with top cordon or vertical shoot positioning. There are other options but what I have said is two choices to get you going.

The vines get sun as I kept the vines growing wild to strengthen the root system since I replanted them 2 years ago. I have Cardons but should I now cut back the vines and just focus on the cardons and trellis?

Just cleaned / pruned and created trellis... maybe this will accelerate fruit growth? Thoughts? 20190616_162911.jpeg20190616_162904.jpeg

The vines show up with the preblossoms very early. Then they grow the leaves and shoots. They aren't going to fruit for you this year. If the shoots get adequate sun, water, fertilizer, and disease protection they will fruit next year

The vines show up with the preblossoms very early. Then they grow the leaves and shoots. They aren't going to fruit for you this year. If the shoots get adequate sun, water, fertilizer, and disease protection they will fruit next year
Thank you.. I think your unfortunately correct.. no fruit this year.

Back