Why aren't there grape or flowers on my vines ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmanto

Reaction score
Why aren't there grape or flowers on my recently 2 year transplanted vines aside have lots of growth and leaves

I have had vines try to flower their first year of planting (I did not let them) and others take up to four years before the flower. There are a lot of reasons for the variation including, but not limited to, as soil type, root structure, weather the prior year or this spring, etc.

I have had vines try to flower their first year of planting (I did not let them) and others take up to four years before the flower. There are a lot of reasons for the variation including, but not limited to, as soil type, root structure, weather the prior year or this spring, etc.
Thank you.. they are healthy 8 year old / transplated Foch vines... blenty of leaves, but no flowers 1531580811080.jpeg

Grapes only produce fruit on 1 year old wood so if you’re trimming off the 1 year old spurs then you’ll only get foliage.

Hello.. its Autumn time here in NJ.. should I cut back my Maréchal Foch..or just let it be and prune in Spring ?

Thank you.. they are healthy 8 year old / transplanted Foch vines... plenty of leaves, but no flowers View attachment 49765

This spot looks to be shaded. Is this so? If so, that can be enough to limit fruiting. If not, if they were my vines, I'd test the plants to see if there is a deficiency. How many vines do you have?

Thank you.. I have so grown some vines from cuttings... do I need to care for these very small / young vines?

Thanks. . My vines are dormant now in NJ / November...can I still submit a sample from these plants?

Since it near Winter here in NJ...should I cover my Vines roots with dead leaves to protect all my plant from long cold winter?

Since it near Winter here in NJ...should I cover my Vines roots with dead leaves to protect all my plant from long cold winter?

It appears that variety is good down to zone 4, so I wouldn't expect winter die off. I mulch my vines with untreated cypress mulch. It helps with weed control and water retention in the soil. Plus it seems to keep the soil in better condition.

Last edited:
Thanks.. I have very young vines/ 6 inches high .. what does Zone 4 define?

Since you are in NJ, it looks like you are either in 6B or 7A. The smaller the number, the colder (and longer) the winter. having a vine rated for Zone 4 means it can withstand Zone 4 winters, which is much colder than NJ, or so it seems according to the zone chart. To be absolutely sure of your zone, consult an online chart by using your zip code. It should tell you closer than me not knowing where you live other than the state. But still, it appears that you are safe with that variety in NJ.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back