Why add Acid Blend and then do Cold Stabilization?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
The white wines that i have made - i have added Acid Blend to reach an acidity level between .65 - .75. The bottles of wine always seem to get ice crystals when in the fridge.

So my question is - why do we add Acid Blend to raise the acidity level to only turn around and need to do cold stabilization to drop out the acid?

I'm no expert, and the answer is probably more complicated than I care to understand, but acid blend is usually a mix of citric, malic, and tartaric acids. Each of these acids have their own contribution to the wine. Cold stabilization is used to reduce tartaric acid. Cold stabilization serves two purposes: a) to drop acid level, b) reduce the changes of wine diamonds developing when the wine is chilled.

If you are in those levels of acidity then you do not need to cold stabilze. When chilling your wines to those temps though it will make some of the tartaric acid precipitate out though and thats why Wine coolers are a little warmer then your standard fridge beacuse you dont want thopse acid levels to be dropping liker that.

I still end up with wine crystals if i leave a bottle in the fridge long enough - does this mean that i do need to cold stabalize or lower the initial TA reading?

You shouldn't see them in your reds. Your whites you could cold stab. This will cause the crystals to drop. Rack off immediately leaving crystals behind.

I have a Chenin Blanc that needs to be racked off the crystals.

By the way they won't hurt you. It's just something odd to see in your bottles.

No it does not mean you need to do it. If you are within range on youn acid it doesnt need to be done but it will fall out if left in colder temps like that and doing this might actually leave your wine on the flatter side.

No it does not mean you need to do it. If you are within range on youn acid it doesnt need to be done but it will fall out if left in colder temps like that and doing this might actually leave your wine on the flatter side.

So if that is the case - should i just chill it a few hours before drinking to eliminate the crystals from forming?

Back