Who's Growing What?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I'll add to this. I'm growing mostly norton, favorite, blanc Dubois, and chambourcin with some Delaware, black Spanish, Catawba, Isabella, herbemont, lomanto, muscadine and some zhender crosses. The zhender crosses were obtained this year through a friend and they had excellent growth and disease resistance. All my vines are rarely sprayed for fungus and hardly ever sprayed for insects and they do well. It's my philosophy that I don't want harmful chemicals to possibly infiltrate into my vineyard/garden. I also have several varieties of blackberries, elderberries, currants and blackberries.

This last year we went nuts. 2 apple trees, 1 pear tree,
17 marquette, 5 concord, 5 King of the North
11 Patriot blueberries, 3 Navaho blackberries
added 2 more 20 ft rows of red raspberries, now have 4 rows
also doubled the size of the strawberry bed. It now is 20x50
We have plans to plant some white grape vines this year still trying to figure out what. We really like Lacrescent, Lacrosse and Swenson white.
Would like to also plant some elderberries in the corner as I had to fight for them on the pubici land around here.

Muscadine in 4b? I'm curious as to how well that's working. Please do tell.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure that is exactly what they are but they are hardy and grow like a weed. But they very well could be also either summer grape, fall grape or frost grape... Sorry I didn't put their Latin names up. But they ripen quite late and are somewhat sour until after a frost. I haven't concentrated much on using them for wine, they are what I would consider wild-ish and I have let the birds have them pretty much every year so far.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure that is exactly what they are but they are hardy and grow like a weed. But they very well could be also either summer grape, fall grape or frost grape... Sorry I didn't put their Latin names up. But they ripen quite late and are somewhat sour until after a frost. I haven't concentrated much on using them for wine, they are what I would consider wild-ish and I have let the birds have them pretty much every year so far.

If they were naturally growing on your property then they shouldn't be muscadine. What do the clusters look like? If they are small berries and in a bunch then they aren't muscadine. However I have heard of muscadines growing up north but that their flavor profile changes a lot.

Ya they were here when we bought the place... They cover a 50foot section of page wire fence. The fruit are smaller than my concords and Fredonia. Will have to do more studying of grape leaves!

I'll be taking pics this summer when it's fully in leaf to finally put a finger on which cultivar they are... Thanks for your feedback!

I have 12 blueberries, 3 muscadines, 1 young pear tree, 10 black Spanish grapes, 2 mars grapes, and 2 figs(I am having problems with them????)

I just ordered 6 blackberries and 4 more muscadines.

I'm going to order blackberries too this year... What's everyone's opinion on which blackberries are the hardiest and most productive. I know there are wild ones that grow around here. I'm kind of interested in the thornless ones anyone grow those?

Also the place I order from has Goji berries this year hardy to zone 2a... Anyone got any experience with those?

Triple crown are vigorous, and very flavorful. The bonus is that they are thornless. In two years you can be in full production.

Planted spring 2011
Carlos Muscadine - 11

Planted spring 2012
BACO Noir - 28
CHAMBOURCIN - 28
CHELOIS (SEIBEL 10878) - 21

Planted spring 2013
CABERNET FRANC - 25
BARBERA - 15
MALBEC - 15

Planting spring 2014
VIKING ARONIA BERRY - 4
Goji Berries-1-X Grade - 4
VINCENT - 4
OBERLIN NOIR - 7
DELAWARE - 4

Planted spring 2011

Carlos Muscadine - 11

Planted spring 2012

BACO Noir - 28

CHAMBOURCIN - 28

CHELOIS (SEIBEL 10878) - 21

Planted spring 2013

CABERNET FRANC - 25

BARBERA - 15

MALBEC - 15

Planting spring 2014

VIKING ARONIA BERRY - 4

Goji Berries-1-X Grade - 4

VINCENT - 4

OBERLIN NOIR - 7

DELAWARE - 4

Delaware is great! Wonderful flavor.

32 muscadines (9 varieties), 2 grapes, both B 17, 2 pears, 2 peaches, 1 fig, 7 pecan, 12 citrus

What we are growing

300 Traminette
200 St Vincent
Lots of Raspberries
3 Blue Berry
3 Pear Trees
30-40 pumpkins in the spring

photo (7).jpg

St.Pepin, Chardonel, Petite Amie and LaCrescent are favorites for whites.

Marquette, Leon Millot and Mn1200 for reds. You won't find Mn1200 anywhere, yet. It is the most complex red wine hybrid to come along so far. I'm hoping I can get Mn to release it soon.......... You would swear it was a fancy vinifera selection if you didn't know better.

I'm guessing that the Mn1200 are now available? And where might I find these vines? under what name are they? Thanks much appreciated! And I am currently sipping on my homemade wine I made from my Marquette thanks for the suggestion! Its awesome!

what I got growing

strawberry patch of about 65 mixed some June bearing some Ever bearing, and some whatever lol
2 pear
2 apple
1 peach but adding a couple more hope this spring
5 elderberry
5 blackberry (next time ordering thornless !)
white table grapes, red Candice grapes, concord grapes

my wine making grapes;
6 Frontenac
4 Edelweiss
4 Marquette
and I know there are more but its getting late can't think:)
20 asparagus now and got 20 coming
5 Pixwell on the way
2rhubarb on the way
and to think some people may tell you I don't do anything :ft
I never listed all that I have before oh yea and 4 black walnut,
plus a couple blueberry I'm hoping show up I planted roots last year and no show this past summer also have a small vege garden I grow every summer too

I'm guessing that the Mn1200 are now available? And where might I find these vines? under what name are they?

I spoke to the Double A sales rep manning the booth at our annual wine and grape growers conference a few weeks back and he said MN1200 is still 2 years (at least) away from commercial availability. Not released yet and once it is it will take a year (min) for them to ramp up with cuttings and have enough plants to sell to make it worthwhile.

Correct. It has not been named yet as a commercial grape. These things take much more time than we would like.

I had the great fortune of visiting with Tom Plocher and several growers from my area last night and taste some of Tom's newest hybrids that are in the works. Tom is a grape breeder in Minnesota. He is the one that introduced Baltica to the US from Russia. And he bred Petite Pearl. He has several more crosses of which some are so much better than Marquette and MN 1200. I am quite excited to see them developed. But it will take time.

Back