Who's Growing What?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deezil

Reaction score
Thought it might be fun to start an over-all thread where we can list what we're growing, sort of like the thread about the wines people have in various stages.

So far i've got:

'Duke' Blueberry x 5
'Spartan' Blueberry x1

'Canby' Red Raspberries

'Fall Gold' Gold Raspberries
'Cascade' Gold Raspberries

'Royalty' Purple Raspberries

Riesling x 2
Madeleine Angevine / C3309 x 1

Last edited:
3 apple trees - golden delicious, red delicious & a jonagold
2 - 20' rows of red raspberries
2 marquis grapevines
3 reliance grapevines
6 hops vines - various
20' row of strawberries

10 Cab's planted 5 days ago in a few different locations around the house.

300 vines consisting of: Marquette, LaCrescent and Brianna.

I've never counted all the various trees but I would approximate the number between 200 and 250. Varieties would include: Apple, Apricot, Plum, Cherry, and Chokecherry.

Various bushes as well which include: Nanking cherry, Sancherry, and Elderberry.

18 carlos scuppernongs that I planted last year, 10 merlots, and 9 cabernet sauvignon, and 1 pinto gris that had a seperate lable on it that was bundled in with the cabs that I planted yesterday. -------------"There's a whole lota slip twixt the cup and the lip."

180' of Navaho blackberries, 30 elderberry (adding 75 more this spring), 2 Danube cherries (adding Black Gold & Lapin this spring), 3 black currant, 2 12' red raspberry rows, also adding 25 golden currants this spring.
Thinking about Honeycrisp apples, but cedar-apple rust is prevalent here.

Vines: 2 Carlos, 2 Noble, 2 Scuppernong, 4 Zinfandels, 2 reliance and 2 Niagara; New for 2012 - 2 Carlos and 2 Nobles

Berries: 32' row Boysenberry; New for 2012 - 1 32' row Boysenberry, 1 32' row Raspberries

Trees: 2 wild plum, 2 Arkansas Black, 2 yellow delious, 2 Winesap; New for 2012 - 2 Granny Smith, 2 Fantasia nectarine, 2 Santa Rosa Plums

On order: 20 Marquette, 2 each of Chardonel, Traminette, Frontenac, Frontenac Gris, St. Vincent, 5 Norton. Come on Spring!!

Vines In ground:
1 Muscat
1 Red Flame

On order:
6 Voignier
2 Barbera
2 Tempranillo

BobF,

how are those Navaho blackberries doing for you? Those are one of the types im looking into, other than Triple Crown & 'Thornfree'. Navaho dont need anything more than a 2-wire trellis do they, to keep them from falling over and touching the ground? Thats what im looking for, but i was considered about the yield, berry size & flavor. Anything you've noticed would be greatly appreciated

Triple crown has nice yields, but is semi-erect.. Not gonna be cold hardy enough for the long-term, i think. Navaho & Thornfree are supposed to be more erect, more cold hardy, withe competitive flavors. Hands on > book reading though, tis why i ask.

Last edited:
9 Norton Vines
2 catawba vines
2 mars vines (mainly for eating, but some may end up in a wine here and there)
2 plum trees
2 cherry trees
6 black currant bushes

planting this year:
3 peach trees
4 Noiret
4 Traminette

Last edited:
BobF,

how are those Navaho blackberries doing for you? Those are one of the types im looking into, other than Triple Crown & 'Thornless'. Navaho dont need anything more than a 2-wire trellis do they, to keep them from falling over and touching the ground? Thats what im looking for, but i was considered about the yield, berry size & flavor. Anything you've noticed would be greatly appreciated

Triple crown has nice yields, but is semi-erect.. Not gonna be cold hardy enough for the long-term, i think. Navaho & Thornless are supposed to be more erect, more cold hardy, withe competitive flavors. Hands on > book reading though, tis why i ask.

The Navaho just went in a few months ago. I'm expecting the first yield 2013. I chose them over TC and others for the reasons you mentioned. A local nursery here claims they don't need any support, but I'll give them a couple of wires. We'll see how primocane development goes this year.

I'm planning to tip them and prune laterals spring of '13, so they should stand well.

Presently three acres (2000 vines) mixed cold climate grapes, including Marquette, Frontenac, St Croix and a few other reds plus LaCrosse, St Pepin, Chardonel, Petite Amie and some other assorted white ones. This coming spring 750 Marquette and 750 LaCrescent 750 Leon Millot and 400 Concord and 400 Niagara going in.

Vines - Muscadines to include 2 Ison, 2 Sweet Jenny, 1 Pam, 1 Pineapple and will be soon planting 1 Magnolia

Blackberries - 3 each of Apache, Ouchita and Natchez.

Red wine vines:
10 Marquette
4 NY95's
2 St.Croix
1 Norton

White wine vines:
8 Valvin muscat
6 LaCrescent
6 Prairie star
4 Frontenac Gris
2 Frontenac Blanc

Wish I could just relocate to N.C. and start a real vineyard though.

Latest posts

Back