Who's Growing What?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Mn1200 is not released yet and may never be. I'm not sure why since it has so much to offer for winemaking. Ibglowin remember what I told you a couple months back.

No Mn1200 is not released yet and may never be. I'm not sure why since it has so much to offer for winemaking. Ibglowin remember what I told you a couple months back.
:slp well if things change will ya please let us know?

Yes, that I should stop praying to Bacchus for the release of MN1200. I will keep praying though that someday it may…...

Hey grapeman and ibglowin... Do you have any experience with petite pearl? Since mn1200 won't be out in the near future, would this be a good replacement in zone 4?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

A lot of people that haven't grown it yet talk nothing but praises for it. Maybe justly so. My experience with it so far has been abysmal. My vines of it (only 50 at this point) have grown three full seasons and most are only 24 inches tall. A couple got a bit bigger last year so I left a few clusters to see what all the hype is about. I have seen wild riparia grapes get bigger grapes and clusters. The taste was lackluster at best. I reitterate this is only my experience with it and others have had very good luck with it. I want to get some on heavier soil and see if that makes a difference. Some vines just don't do well on a very light soil and this is probably one of them.

Thank you very much for your experience grapeman! I guess I'll just have to wait another 20 years til I can retire to Cali. But by that time there will probably be a Malbec and Cabernet replacement here in MN.

There are a few that are getting close. Let's hope they are great ones. Marquette makes a pretty good wine. You can always try the Petite Pearl for yourself. Greg says it does well there.

I think I am going to give it a try. Only four vines though. Small back yard :( but this winter was BRUTAL!! Will wait to see which vines made it out alive.

My first year petite pearl grew pretty well on my rich soil. Not quite as big as my Marquette though. Another nearby winery has had it for 4 years and it produced pretty well for him last year. We just did a barrel tasting of his 2013 and it is pretty good. It was a bad year all around for us so it's hard to really compare. He wasn't able to make his usual Marquette at all because the grapes were not good enough. He ended up with a sweeter red with that one to balance it.

This year I will prune them down to the ground and grow some proper trunks. It looks like the winter was tough on them anyway. I think I was lucky this last year was the first for my vines. I would hate to have had them all established and face this winter.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Hey winemaking friends! Just thought I'd share a quick update! I've been so busy with non-winemaking things apart from a Chardonnay and batch of DB on the go :) hope you all are well and still having some winemaking fun!

I can't remember which thread I had posted on my rodent damage last winter but it seems that everything that was chewed up grew back twice as fast and big!

Here's a pic of one of my apple trees that was completely girdled last winter to which we applied Saran Wrap and duct tape. I'm sure hoping that it will survive next winter. What do you all think? She bloomed extremely well and has a fair amount of apples growing!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1403455730.885775.jpg

Much of my free time has been spent gardening as landscaping. We've put in cherry, peach and pear trees this year. My Saskatoon berry and high bush cranberries as well as my elderberries are all growing like absolute weeds! Yay! My wine grapes had to be put on hold til next spring, just haven't had enough time!

On another front, I finally got my custom mini bar done but had to rip our back door apart to get her in! Still waiting on my cowhide barstools but this will be worth it in the end. The bar holds 18 - 750ml or 1.5L bottles on each end. Hope I can find more time to participate more on the forums again now. Miss all the great chit chat!
ImageUploadedByWine Making1403456155.058940.jpg

Identify the grapes

Hello,

I am new to this forum. We found these grapes growing on our land in upstate NY. Can someone identify what type of grapes these are at this stage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

IMG_3984 (600x800).jpg

IMG_3985 (600x800).jpg

6 Noble muscadine
6 Ison muscadine
2 Black Beauty muscadine
2 Darlene muscadine
2 Big Red muscadine
10 Lomanto grapes
10 Black Spanish grape

1 Pomegranate tree
2 plum
7 various apple
5 peach
8 blueberry
2 bartlett pear
1 huge asian pear (pic below)

On order:
30 Blanc Du Bois Grape
10 Black Spanish Grape
10 Lomanto Grape

asianPear.jpg

Last edited:
Two Venus seedless vines, which produced 8 gallons of deep red this year. I planted these 4 years ago for fresh eating. No way can we eat that many grapes while they are in season. So I have made wine with them for two years in a row now. I made it very strong and very dry. I don't like sweet wine. I try to get 16% alcohol by volume By adjusting the SG. I normally add about 1/4 to 1/half as much water as I have juice. My grapes have more acid than I like. so diluting the must with water is a natural way to lessen the acidity.

This years batch is a little sweeter than last years But not overly so. I have had several people taste it and they all rave about it. One said it was the best he ever tasted.

So what I'm getting at is that you don't have to have the famous wine grapes to make a good wine.

Muscadines are ripening fast so I plan on a 5 gallon batch of that next week.

Wally Smith

My fruit collections:

7 table grapes, room for 9 more wine grape,
two more rows planned for another 32 vines.
8 apple trees,
4 Asian pears
2 apricot trees
3 sweet cherry
4 peach/nectarine
14 highbush blueberry
Blackberry: Triple Crown, Black Satin, Cherokee
Red raspberry: Heritage, Prelude, Sunrise
Boysenberry
Gooseberry
7 Jujube trees

Last edited:
Mars grapes 250 vines
15 Apple trees
10 pear
15 peach
15 plum
5 sweet cherry
5 persimmons
1 pomegranate
20 high bush blueberries
200 Christmas trees
7 pecan
2 fig

10 Valvin muscats
10 Ives
10 Chambourcin
10 New York muscats
13 Traminette
15 Various concords and Catawba

300 fig varieties
2 apples not sure what ones
2 Nanking cherries white& red
1 queen ann cherry
Dog woods kousa and cornealian
Goji berries
8 verities of blue berries
4 verities kiwi
4 pawpaw varieties
4 currents red black pink and white
Wine grapes are barbera 50 vines on 101-14 only
Need 12(haha)
3 concord
1 fruit cocktail of jujube
A ton of volunteer mulberries
Black berries 2 types
3 types of raspberries
In pots
1 ice cream banana
1 red lemon
1 myer lemon
1 Calamondin
1 calamondin/mandarin cross
1 sumo Orange
4 gin berries
1 sand paper fig
1 Rollina deliciosa
1 surinam cherry
1 strawberry guava
1 fejoia
1 star fruit
Think that's about
It I'm sure I'm missing some things
Oh and weed lots of weeds. ImageUploadedByWine Making1430659979.928602.jpg

Last edited:
300 fig varieties
2 apples not sure what ones
2 Nanking cherries white& red
1 queen ann cherry
Dog woods kousa and cornealian
Goji berries
8 verities of blue berries
4 verities kiwi
4 pawpaw varieties
4 currents red black pink and white
Wine grapes are barbera 50 vines on 101-14 only
Need 12(haha)
3 concord
1 fruit cocktail of jujube
A ton of volunteer mulberries
Black berries 2 types
3 types of raspberries
In pots
1 ice cream banana
1 red lemon
1 myer lemon
1 Calamondin
1 calamondin/mandarin cross
1 sumo Orange
4 gin berries
1 sand paper fig
1 Rollina deliciosa
1 surinam cherry
1 strawberry guava
1 fejoia
1 star fruit
Think that's about
It I'm sure I'm missing some things

Jeez, it really is the Garden State, huh!? Nice work!

300 grape vines- Marquette, Marechal Foch, LaCrescent, Prairie Star and Louise Swenson
12 Patriot high bush blueberries
12 Honeyberries
7 Apple
2 Pear
1 Peach
Thousands of wild Blackberries
Old

Latest posts

Back