Whole House Filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
Would someone give me a step by step procedure for using my whole house filter, I bought it at Filter Fast along with 5 ea - 5 micron and 3 ea - 1 micron filters. I also have a vine-brite filter and it does a much better job of filtering. I must be doing something wrong. If you would, 3rd grade level, don't asume I know anything, cause I don't.
Thanks
Semper Fi

Do you have a vacuum pump or are you presurizing it thru ?

The inlet of the filter housing should go toward the full carboy and the arrow or the flow should point toward the empty carboy (where you will be transfering to ) - inbetween your racking cane setup.

pump with filter [400x360].jpg

Last edited:
What kind of filters are you using as there are many types of filter materials and they are not even close to being equal!

Yes, I do have a vacuum pump. If I'm not mistaken, I went to a web site recommended on this site and purchased it, "Filter Right". The 1 micron filters are PD-1-934, which I haven't used yet. The 5 micron filters are PD-5-934, both filters cartridges are Polydepth Polypropylene. I have kept them frozen between uses, after thawing them out, I run tap water thru them then drain them and start filtering my wine. I have not run any K-Meta thru them because I figure that would leave too much K-Meta in the wine. I have also varying the vacuum to get a lower flow and increasing the vacuum to get a higher flow. Half way thru the filtering, both carboys look about the same as far as clearing, but if I take a gallon out and filter it thru the vinebrite filter I looks a lot clearer. Lots of questions, should I flush it with K-Meta first? If so, what about the additional K-Meta added to the wine and what vacuum should you filter at, and are these the right filters. Also, I found that if you de-gas at a high vacuum it removes all the CO2 (good or bad, I don't know). I just really don't know what I'm doing???????????
Thanks
Semper Fi
Bud

I use the exact same filters and my All-In-One (which pulls 25" of vacuum) and wines comes out crystal clear. I make sure my wines are clear and there is no sediment and wines are thoroughly degassed prior to filtering. I use my whole house filter to polish the wine. The VinBrite filter pads are a 6 micron and one pad filters 1-2 gallons. It is hard to really determine clarity when looking at a carboy, have you looked at the wine in a glass, in the light?
Maybe Steve can provide some insight, as I believe he uses the same filters, or did at one point.

Thanks Sarah !!
I did pm him (Bud) and we talked several days ago - I think we covered most if not all all of his questions. I am trully blessed by all the people whom I have encountered over this great site :db
Thanks everyone !!

Does any one have a brand name or model number? Or where are you purchasing the whole house filter?

Last edited:
Yes, I do have a vacuum pump. If I'm not mistaken, I went to a web site recommended on this site and purchased it, "Filter Right". The 1 micron filters are PD-1-934, which I haven't used yet. The 5 micron filters are PD-5-934, both filters cartridges are Polydepth Polypropylene. I have kept them frozen between uses, after thawing them out, I run tap water thru them then drain them and start filtering my wine. I have not run any K-Meta thru them because I figure that would leave too much K-Meta in the wine. I have also varying the vacuum to get a lower flow and increasing the vacuum to get a higher flow. Half way thru the filtering, both carboys look about the same as far as clearing, but if I take a gallon out and filter it thru the vinebrite filter I looks a lot clearer. Lots of questions, should I flush it with K-Meta first? If so, what about the additional K-Meta added to the wine and what vacuum should you filter at, and are these the right filters. Also, I found that if you de-gas at a high vacuum it removes all the CO2 (good or bad, I don't know). I just really don't know what I'm doing???????????
Thanks
Semper Fi
Bud
i use spun polypropylene filters 1 micron for whites and 5 microns for reds and a vacuum pump,
i cleanse my with potassium metabysilfite solution, and have for years with no problems,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back