Whole grape port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I use Pearson's square to determine the "point of fortification" (or at what brix reading in which I want to add my fortifier).

At the "point of fortification", I would always take the appropriate amount of free run juice off of the sins and add my fortifier to it. It has turned out fantastic.

Last year, I tried something a bit different. Instead of simply steeling some free run juice off the skins and then adding my fortifier, I made a small side batch of wine just for use in port. At the "point of fortification", I added my fortifier to the must and allowed the port to sit on the skins for several more days.

All I can say is WOW, what a difference! This year's port is perhaps the best I ever made.

Does anybody else make port for fresh fruit? If so, do you continue to macerate after the point of fortification?

So you are suggesting that adding the fortifier into the must while the skins or fruit is still in the must makes a significant difference in flavour? If so, this sounds like something I might want to try.

Seth,

That I exactly what I am saying. Maceration with the fortifier seemed to bring out more of the body of the wine.

This is how it worked out last year and I only have one trial using this method. I am not sure if the quality of the port is due to the particular year or is it truly due to allowing a higher alcohol contact with the skins.

This is why I am asking if anyone else has had similar results.

Ha, well it seems like it would make sense. I wonder if it would also give you more grape seed tannins.

I would think that this would make the port more bitter, but I found the results to be much the opposite.

I think that I will make 2 batches next year and compare the two.

Not a bad idea. One thing that might also help the bitterness is the fact that most ports are atleast somewhat sweet thus the bitter can be balanced out with ease.

You know, I read this thread and thought 3-4 times "Oh, but.." - only to read the next post, and it say exactly what I was gonna say.. You guys are on a roll today!

very intresting post -
I always felt if I added my fortifier that the grape skins or other fruit would soak up the alcohol, and I would have to fight in order to get it back.

I do cold masculate prior to making port for approx 4-5 days - prior to pitching the yeast.

Ack, stupid typesetting! The formula in that document that Salcoco listed is missing a set of parentheses, which makes it incorrect.

Here is what they meant (which, of course, is the same as A Pearson's Square):

X = V*(C-A) / (B-C), where

X = GAL BRANDY NEEDED
V = GALLONS OF WINE
C = FINAL ALCOHOL % WANTED
B = ALCOHOL % OF BRANDY
A = ALCOHOL % OF WINE

Last edited:
:u After my last post, I used the "Contact Us" form on NorthernBrewer's website to alert them to the error. I actually got a response saying they would fix it quickly!

John T, I dont think your idea is a very good 1 at all. But I guess the only way you could prove it to me would be to send me a few bottles to taste test your theory! LOL Hehehehehe:db:h

John T, I dont think your idea is a very good 1 at all. But I guess the only way you could prove it to me would be to send me a few bottles to taste test your theory! LOL Hehehehehe:db:h

pm me your address and i will send you some when we bottle.

in the mean time, perhaps we can discuss ibglowin's avatar... (insert sinister laugh here).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back