Who Likes FRESH Coffee?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwarriorsvt

Reaction score
I just found out my neighbor has coffee trees growing on his farm. How relaxing it was picking coffee beans right next to the river. This area is so peaceful, a feat hard to do on Oahu with a population of almost 1 million on this tiny island. Now to Google how to process and roast the beans!
IMG_20121223_164216.jpg

IMG_20121223_162556.jpg

I hear that processing raw coffee berries into usable coffee beans is rather long and labor intensive. They need to be hulled, fermented, dried, and then roasted.

Let us know how you make out.

You're exactly right. I've just learned that. I'll process this batch but thats it. It'll be a novelty to drink coffee that was grown on my neighbor's farm but after that, that's it. It is way too much hassle. And I've learned that there are about as many ways to process the beans as there is to make wine! (probably more).

ME ME ME!!!! I am a coffee addict!!! My brother was in Hawaii a couple of months ago and so I asked him to see if he could get some 100% Kona for me. He did, but actually had trouble finding it, even in the state! I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to coffee, have been for years! My next great adventure will be in roasting my own beans. Maybe someday I will be fortunate enough to go through the process of picking and drying my own coffee berries: )

Enjoy the peace and quiet, and the process. It may be the best cup of coffee you've ever tasted and worth the effort.

rezod11

Seen the new show.. I believe its on Travel Channel... Called Dangerous Grounds?

Dude loves making coffee, like we love making wine
He's a tad bit nuts, but its a good show

Rezod,
There is actually city ordinance that requires coffee to contain at least 10% pure Kona coffee for it to be sold as Kona coffee. Some companies sell 100% Kona coffee but that is the "Everclear" of coffees. If you ever need more Kona coffee, just send over some funds with a return addy and I'll pick you up some.

Thanks roadwarrior! I truly appreciate that! Believe me, I will take you up on that offer:r

Just curious, what do you mean as far as the "everclear" of coffees? Too potent flavor wise? Just trying to understand...

The blends that I have had have been far less than desirable is why I ask.

Exactly. 100% Kona coffee is "quite" robust, maybe a little too strong for some. Some blend it with other coffees, others drink it straight. Personal preference I guess. Waialua Coffee Co. and Mt. Kaala Coffee Co. are less than 10 minutes from my house so easy to get Hawaiian coffee factory direct as well as pure Kona also. Offer is good to any member here. :h

Rezod: Not sure where your brother was in Hawaii, but when I was there last I couldn't go 100 yards without tripping over somewhere selling 100% Kona coffee. I was on the big island and spent time in Kona though. I am a coffee nut as well, we started most mornings visiting a coffee farm where you got as much free coffee as you could stand.

To me, 100% Kona is the absolute best, much nicer than the 10% stuff. What they use in the 90% is usually regular colombian, and that's ok, but it's often not the best beans.

But 100% kona is also expensive. There was a place in Kona called Ferrari coffee, which was started by Enzo Ferrari's brother. They had the cheapest 100% kona I found, and you can find it online.

http://ferraricoffee.com/shop/shop.php?category=Pure

It's still expensive, but if you're dying to try it... Warning, regular coffee afterward will taste...regular.

I would love to try to work up a batch of coffee from raw beans. We sell green beans ( no Kona yet) and roasters. I have been roasting our own coffee for about a year now, can't drink the stuff from the store anymore. Wife and I like a dark French roast so I take it a bit farther than most store bought coffees.
You can roast coffee beans in a fry pan on the stove or in the oven. Have some customers use popcorn poppers.
Once you roast your own you will not go back to store bought coffees. ( fair warning! LOL)

The only other coffee that I've found that comes close to the profile of Kona is called Sumatra Mandheling. It's a low acid coffee like kona, but while it tastes great and is pretty rich, it's not quite kona. Close though, and much cheaper. I get it on amazon for about $10/pound.

Have you heard about the coffee where the beans are picked out of elephant dung from Indonesia? Supposedly some of the most expensive in the world but delicious. I'll pass...

Have you heard about the coffee where the beans are picked out of elephant dung from Indonesia? Supposedly some of the most expensive in the world but delicious. I'll pass...

I wonder how much the bean collector gets paid? What a "crappy" job! :slp

Rezod: Not sure where your brother was in Hawaii, but when I was there last I couldn't go 100 yards without tripping over somewhere selling 100% Kona coffee. I was on the big island and spent time in Kona though. I am a coffee nut as well, we started most mornings visiting a coffee farm where you got as much free coffee as you could stand.

To me, 100% Kona is the absolute best, much nicer than the 10% stuff. What they use in the 90% is usually regular colombian, and that's ok, but it's often not the best beans.

But 100% kona is also expensive. There was a place in Kona called Ferrari coffee, which was started by Enzo Ferrari's brother. They had the cheapest 100% kona I found, and you can find it online.

http://ferraricoffee.com/shop/shop.php?category=Pure

It's still expensive, but if you're dying to try it... Warning, regular coffee afterward will taste...regular.

I agree, I've had the 100% before and I think it's tops! I've never been a fan of the robusta beans; just not the quality of flavor. Especially the peaberries...my absolute fave! I love a light roast coffee, more caffeine and a nuttier flavor:HB

Someone posted about elephants eating and "digesting" coffee berries...never heard of that, but I have heard about the Civet doing this. One of my clients was there (Indonesia) earlier this year but didn't have the nerve to try it:)

I don't know which island my brother was on, but I can ask.

Latest posts

Back