Who Is Filtering Reds?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just placed an order for 1 micron poly spun filters for filtering my whites. I was going to get a pack of 5 micron for reds, then I thought, why?

Anyone religiously filtering their reds?

I used the 5 micron on a Raspberry and Black Cherry kit but it was because I did not let it sit long enough to drop all the sediment and wanted a clear fruit wine. Those were last month (October) when I joined WMT to find out why my wine kits were looking so bad in the bottle. I had two wine cooler kits which I also used the 5 micron filters and they are awesome looking although the taste is what you would expect from a 6-7% abv wine cooler ..... weak! lol Those were last week.

Servapure sells the Pentek and it works great with the AIO wine pump. Nothing bad to say but only positive things.

As I continue to learn more about making wine, I'm not sure I'll need the filter on my reds if I let it bulk age but then again .... I have the setup to filter and its so easy. It does not spill a drop. I'll figure it out next year when a couple of my wines are ready to bottle.

I have a Buon Vino, but it's been put in storage. I used it on the DB first which it destroyed, and there is a slight soapy tinge to the Shiraz that I filtered right after. I only noticed after drinking it after an untainted bottle. So, that's forever out, which is why am ordering the whole house cartridge style for the whites.

I want to do my whites. They will probably look better in the bottle, but they are not 'clear'. They are well over 6 month with k&c added per kit instructions, but you can see particles if you shine a light through the carboy. I just want to see the difference. I may decide I don't feel the need, but I want to give it the full effort and decide where my level of clarity and quality merge.

I just can'r see a reason to do the reds, so I don't think we will ever talk about this again.😂

These are kits? If they weren't, I'd suggest pectic enzyme. What brand?

Both are Vineco. And I'm talking polished, 'crystal clear', not cloudy. They are clear with no sediment.

PXL_20221120_222312960.MP.jpgI just want to see if the polish is worth the effort. A light shows suspended particles. Its a nit picky thing, but how do you know if you don't try?
PXL_20221120_222352556.jpg

I use a Pentek 5 micron filter with my AIO Wine Pump on my reds, too. I don't find any loss of color, even with my most robust reds.

I use a 1 micron filter on everything. Works well and my red colors are brilliant! I use a whole house filter and order bulk filters off of Amazon. I drive it with a Pentair Sureflo pump cause the darn thing will pump air, this way I can empty the filter case. I also use a prefilter before the pump, just to keep trash out (I use this pump for all my transfers) but the prefilter does nothing except when clearing out the primaries. 1 micron is not small enough to filter out nice colors.

I use a 1 micron filter on everything. Works well and my red colors are brilliant! I use a whole house filter and order bulk filters off of Amazon. I drive it with a Pentair Sureflo pump cause the darn thing will pump air, this way I can empty the filter case. I also use a prefilter before the pump, just to keep trash out (I use this pump for all my transfers) but the prefilter does nothing except when clearing out the primaries. 1 micron is not small enough to filter out nice colors.
Well, now I have to rethink my entire approach. Guess I gotta try it and compare.

Which model Sureflo do you use? There's a wide range of prices.

If you have 12v power, an old laptop charger for example, this could be a WAY more affordable option. Or you could try your hand at a non brand name.

https://www.amazon.com/Shurflo-2088...5?keywords=2088-594-144&qid=1669089113&sr=8-5
Getting up into the $200 range, I would have to put a word in for the AIO pump. You get the advantage of degassing while racking and it's a mighty fine little bottle filler. I've only had it a week, and I'm sad I don't have anything left to bottle.

Fast and consistent ullage. Except one, but that was me learning.
PXL_20221119_182746588.jpg

Back