Who Does This?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a tasting tutorial with Tim V.

Wine Tasting

Just wondering if this is common practice. He recommends doing this with every wine you taste.

I expect you would all sip and critique your wines. I am just wondering if you taste every wine with the same level of discernment as you would judging a competition.

I try to. This is the scoring sheet I use to think about how it tastes and stacks up.

This is why I really enjoy this site. I watch a video like that and think that seems pretty over the top, but then when you offer up the question you are presented with far more than you would have considered on your own.

Not only does this make me take pause to my initial reaction, but also gives me more questions to answer.

Personal development, if you will.

Even on the profiling of wine. I am now equipped with tools to expand my knowledge base. The list just gives me the opportunity to pay attention to things I didn't know I was looking for.

I am used to using insipid to explain ones personality, but once noted I can see how it would pertain to wine, as well. 😏

Learning!

Thanks,

For me, yes and no. I think about the wine I'm drinking, sniffing and examining the aroma and flavor. But not always going as far as rating it. That said, it's normal for me to pour a splash in a glass, add a bottle aerator and pour a full glass, and compare the two. I'm thinking and comparing, but not exactly rating.

However, for personal growth, it's a good idea to do so. It's amazing how much this teaches us.

@cmason1957, that's a new scoring system to me, but I like it. It's easy to use and reduces the amount of judgment call and expertise necessary.

Thanks @vinny , I enjoyed that! I'll admit I've primarily been a wine drinker. That all changed now that I'm making wine. I think everyone who's even a little serious about this wonderful hobby needs to explore wine tasting. Like you said, personal development. Thanks again!
And @cmason1957, thanks for the scoring sheet. I may not use it as far as "pen to paper" but it will give me focus. I'm sure it will help with my education.

Thanks @vinny , I enjoyed that! I'll admit I've primarily been a wine drinker. That all changed now that I'm making wine. I think everyone who's even a little serious about this wonderful hobby needs to explore wine tasting. Like you said, personal development. Thanks again!

And @cmason1957, thanks for the scoring sheet. I may not use it as far as "pen to paper" but it will give me focus. I'm sure it will help with my education.

Nice, I'm just glad you found it interesting as well.

@cmason1957, that's a new scoring system to me, but I like it. It's easy to use and reduces the amount of judgment call and expertise necessary.

Thanks. It is what our wine club uses for internal monthly competitions and also what we used to use for our yearly big competition. It's so hard to find someone willing to organize that big yearly we stopped doing it. I find it worries really well and takes the "do I like this wine" somewhat out of the equation. That last section is the do I like it part.

u can spin it, shake it, pour it, splash it, leave the bottle open for an hour or so
some may sip, chug, chew it , etc....
this i know - no 2 peoples taste and smells will be the same -
that's why its MAGIC in a bottle! what ever works - just enjoy the grape -
but - the glass does make difference

I personally like to spin it in my glass and spend 20 minutes smelling it and making notes then taste it once it’s gotten a bit of air into it. I am very sensitive and descriptive about the flavors and aromas in wine and often will catch things others don’t. I actually wrote the entirety of the tasting notes at one of the wineries I wrote at because they were impressed by my tasting skills.
I am also super sensitive to cork taint I will catch it and if you open a bottle I can smell it just from opening the bottle if I’m in the room.
Needless to say the staff in the tasting room would give me badly corked wines cause like 3 of them could tell the rest weren’t able so I was pretty much the guy that checked all bottles they opened.

Latest posts

Back