Who all uses wine bags?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a great deal on a Wine on Tap at labepeelers (Wine On Tap) and looking forward to using it in the future. Looking for feed back from those that have used wine bags.

Any tips, tricks, pics, etc.?

Also, has anyone used these bags from Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXN6B1V/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_DGGKEb29X3J6V
Thanks in advance!
I have it. A nice idea but you have to essentially be willing to drink your wine right out of the car boy. I am ok with that with my Zin sometimes but that is about it for reds unless I have about 6 months in the car boy and even that often is no where near where I would like to be ageing something. Maybe a better product for whites.

I like it. Pretty straight forward. You can leave stuff in the bag way longer than they say(and don’t tell anybody, but I’m not above reusing the bags).

Along the lines of whatNorton said, I don’t put my “fine” stuff in it. I use it for the stuff I want to drink to keep myself out of the stuff I’m trying to age. Have a cab/mer I need to bag up as soon as this virus let’s go of me.

Jbo

Thanks guys!

I'm planning on using them with wine I'm planning to make from frozen juice concentrates.

I agree, when I make something I want to age or give out, that will be bottled.

@jbo_c how do you clean out the bags?

That's for the replies!

I rinse with SO2 when emptied and then right before filling again.

I reuse the bags from (gasp) store bought boxed wine too.

Jbo

. If you ferment the key is to hold the spout securely,,, keep air lock in position.
. if I am not trying to maximize volume, I have cut the spout opening small for the ID and then added slits to create a snap ring (cut to the OD). The photo has a two part metal ring sized for the ID. The spout deformed with a spring holding into the ID.
. I have not found the ideal “box” to hold them in, the photo is a 1.25 gallon bottle with a 3 l Amazon bag with 3.6 l in it, every bag I have tried will hold more than it is sold as, this 3 liter can do 3.9 l when in a 6” pipe without confining the ends
. the check valve from a “head space eliminator” works as an air lock where you don’t have to secure the spout for a vertical airlock. Corks are good for storage (but not degassing)
. metalized is rated as a better barrier film, I don’t have enough experience to give a 1:1 comparison same size EVOH (clear 3 L)

Any tips, tricks, pics, etc.?. . . Also, has anyone used these bags from Amazon?
FD3C2CCD-28E7-44B4-A8A7-FEA744995098.jpeg
PM me if you have questions

Last edited:
I use bags on most kits I make now. Yes, I reuse the bags. When empty, I rinse and put a little k-meta solution in them to store. I also bottle 6-8 per kit for aging. I keep a close eye on the reused bags, and when they start looking worn, they get replaced.

If you have hunted the tools on Amazon there is a device which the spout slides into which lets one refill through the spout. The look is that you should be able to use silicon or stretch warm hardware store vinyl tubing to accomplish a tight transfer also. I have not tried that direction since I use stoppers on bags I bought.
How do you REFILL the bags from store-bought wine boxes?

I do this with wines that I’m planning on drinking in less than 6 months. Also reuse bags, push the spigot 3/4 of the way in.

that exactly what I do with the spigot. I push it up to the next to the last click.
Easily removed while not compromising the safety of the wine. 585006C4-97D3-4AAF-B14B-A445C01CA85F.jpeg

If you have hunted the tools on Amazon there is a device which the spout slides into which lets one refill through the spout. The look is that you should be able to use silicon or stretch warm hardware store vinyl tubing to accomplish a tight transfer also. I have not tried that direction since I use stoppers on bags I bought.
Thanks for the reply.................I will look for it on Amazon, although "naming" the part will be a challenge!

Rice Guy..................I just bit the bullet and ordered the pack of 5 bags from Juggable for $15.....no worries/no hassles!

@DizzyIzzy ,,,,, to fill you need to hold the figment (snap ring), a quick and dirty way is cut a small round in a heavy jug and the slots (wedges) to the outer diameter. Snap the figment in to hold it above something solid. Amazon also sells this part.
View attachment 62248
Thanks, but I did order the bags from Amazon..............Dizzy

I don’t use the bungs when bagging my wine since it won’t be aging any significant period of time. I simple insert my discharge tube close to the bottom of the bag, fill, and burp each bag of all air trapped inside. It doesn’t introduce much more air to the wine than a bottle fuller tube when filling bottles.

Latest posts

Back