Who’s been experiencing 100+ weather?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears you are in El Paso so....... Pretty typical for you this time of year for months on end.

I am up North from you. We have had highs topping out around 94 a few days but nothing over that so far. Hoping the monsoons start up on schedule this weekend and we get some moisture from the sky instead of from my water hose. I am watering every other day. Each vine gets ~ 2 gallons. They are happy with the GDD so far.

IMG_5556.JPGIMG_5558.JPG

It's around 95 outside with a "feels like" of 100-105, but the only place in the house I can store my carboys is 85. I'm trying to keep them as cold as possible but I'm afraid I might lose this batch.

It's around 95 outside with a "feels like" of 100-105, but the only place in the house I can store my carboys is 85. I'm trying to keep them as cold as possible but I'm afraid I might lose this batch.

Good luck! Depending on what it is you are again, I don't think 85 will ruin anything.

BTW, the "feels like" is completely irrelevant to aging your wine (or any inanimate object that is not evaporating anything). That only has to do with the humidity.

Good luck! Depending on what it is you are again, I don't think 85 will ruin anything.

BTW, the "feels like" is completely irrelevant to aging your wine (or any inanimate object that is not evaporating anything). That only has to do with the humidity.

I've got the carboys in those brew jackets with some frozen tonic bottles, so yeah I think I'll be okay. I just get paranoid because when I open it, the carboy feels warm and I say to myself "Crap...." I mean, yeah fermentation produces heat but fermentation was completed three weeks ago. I'm making apfelwein and used montrachet, both of which I've never used so it's "uncharted territory", lol.

One of my latest batches was fermenting when it was about 90 degrees in there and lets just say, things didn't go as planned, haha. Luckily it ended up turning out alright (not the best), but ever since then, there's that little voice in my head that says "it's too warm. Keep it cool after fermentation" lol.

Ibglowin, that's what I had a feeling I should be switching to watering everyday for at least an hr on a 2gal per hr drip system. Someone else said they watered twice a week.

23 years growing grapes in Illinois. No watering ever. IN the drought year of 12 things were starting to looking sick after 10 days of 100 degree heat, but then we got a 1/4" of rain on a sunday and I went on to have my biggest harvest ever. Too much water is always the problem here.

Have you considered placing the carboy in a bucket of cold water and having a fan blow over it?..............................................Dizzy

Have you considered placing the carboy in a bucket of cold water and having a fan blow over it?..............................................Dizzy
For my bulk-aging, I ended up putting it in a carboy cooler bag and put some extra large cooler packs in there. Kept the wine temp at a relatively low. I've done the swamp cooler method, and really does wonders in a pinch though!

It Was 107 Today, 100+ all week, I've been watering everyday to keep mine alive.

Latest posts

Back