White zin recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Considering buying 100-/+ lbs of Zinfandel grapes locally.

Is there a recipe to follow for white zin? Reading up it appears it was made by mistake when a batch stalled leaving it sweet. Is this how it's still done, intentionally stopping it before dry? Or do most now just ferment completely then sweeten?

The light color is from leaving the skins in for a very short time right? How short?

Sounds pretty simple. If I did it id take them to a shop in Santa Rosa to use their press. What does gingerly press mean? I guess the shop would probably be able to help me. Sounds like I'd take the free running juice and leave all skins out for white zin

I did Zin a few yrs back. Wanted to make a deeper red so bled a couple gallons off after crushing and made a white zin with this juice. Even with only that little bit of time and no pressing, still had a pink wine.

I made some a while back. To be honest, Red Zin is so much better!

I crushed/destemmed right into my press. I then set the pressure down very low (about 2 bars) and gradually eased the pressure up until the juice from the press turned red.

I fermented in the white wine style by first treating with k-meta, then chilling down the juice and allowing for the juice to clear up a bit. I then warmed the juice back up, treated with nutrient, then pitched the yeast (D47). I maintained the temp to a high of no more than 80 degrees. As far as rose goes, it was pretty good. I do have to say that I like red zin better (but that is just me).

I made some a while back. To be honest, Red Zin is so much better!

I crushed/destemmed right into my press. I then set the pressure down very low (about 2 bars) and gradually eased the pressure up until the juice from the press turned red.

I fermented in the white wine style by first treating with k-meta, then chilling down the juice and allowing for the juice to clear up a bit. I then warmed the juice back up, treated with nutrient, then pitched the yeast (D47). I maintained the temp to a high of no more than 80 degrees. As far as rose goes, it was pretty good. I do have to say that I like red zin better (but that is just me).

John, did you leave it dry or kmeta/sorbate and backsweeten? I'm making a White Zin juice bucket at my wife's request (she likes giving wine to her coworkers who I believe have inquired about whether we had any). Not sure how I'll finish it, maybe 1/2 dry and 1/2 off-dry. Just not a huge fan of lighter rosé wines.

John, did you leave it dry or kmeta/sorbate and backsweeten? I'm making a White Zin juice bucket at my wife's request (she likes giving wine to her coworkers who I believe have inquired about whether we had any). Not sure how I'll finish it, maybe 1/2 dry and 1/2 off-dry. Just not a huge fan of lighter rosé wines.

I let it ferment to completion (dry) with no backsweetening.

Latest posts

Back