White Zin Browning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhopkins

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On accident (long story) I bought a White Zinfandel kit in March (Winexpert Vintner’s Reserve). Finally started it in September. Followed kit instructions through primary, secondary, stabilizing, clearing. Let sit in carboy 2+ months under an airlock instead of the 7-14 days in the instructions. The color of the wine is darker (purple/burgundy) than I expected of a White Zin (expected a pinkish rose?).

The wine is clear and tasty (sweeter than is my go to), but the color has a brown tint. My knee jerk is that it must somehow be oxidizing. How can that be? Anything to be done to bring the color back?

On accident (long story) I bought a White Zinfandel kit in March (Winexpert Vintner’s Reserve). Finally started it in September. Followed kit instructions through primary, secondary, stabilizing, clearing. Let sit in carboy 2+ months under an airlock instead of the 7-14 days in the instructions. The color of the wine is darker (purple/burgundy) than I expected of a White Zin (expected a pinkish rose?).

The wine is clear and tasty (sweeter than is my go to), but the color has a brown tint. My knee jerk is that it must somehow be oxidizing. How can that be? Anything to be done to bring the color back?

If it was properly sulfited, not exposed to excessive air intrusion, or light, it shouldn't exhibit those types of changes. Wines in carboys sometimes appear much different than they do in bottles or in a glass, have you put any into bottles yet, or into a glass?

John, "have you put any into bottles yet, or into a glass?" Yes, in a glass is where I noticed the brown tint. And, as I read your msg, I am reminded that the batch was properly sulfited, not exposed to excessive air intrusion, BUT did catch a couple of hours of sunlight per day through the window near where it sat. Think that's it?

John, "have you put any into bottles yet, or into a glass?" Yes, in a glass is where I noticed the brown tint. And, as I read your msg, I am reminded that the batch was properly sulfited, not exposed to excessive air intrusion, BUT did catch a couple of hours of sunlight per day through the window near where it sat. Think that's it?

Mark, it’s hard to say, but if you say it’s there, check out this link for some potential remedies:
https://morewinemaking.com/articles/Fining_finished_white_wine

The juice on white kit wines will darken the longer they sit in the bag. If the kit was getting up there in age (a year old or more) from production date it will darken/oxidize slightly with time even if still sealed up.

The juice on white kit wines will darken the longer they sit in the bag. If the kit was getting up there in age (a year old or more) from production date it will darken/oxidize slightly with time even if still sealed up.

Mike, thanks ... I was unaware. So it may not have been the few hours of sunlight/day after all. Still, I think I'll cover the bulk-aging carboys going forward. Mark

Latest posts

Back